Palm Beach Canes Club Event Recap

As a rabid fan of the University of Miami, I can’t even begin to tell you folks what a great experience it was to be present at the Palm Beach ‘Canes Club event last night at Miller’s Ale House in Boca. (http://www.millersalehouse.com/)

Honored guests included Steve Walsh, Bennie Blades, Lamar Thomas, and Don Bailey Jr. Shelton Douthett also made a special guest appearance.

The Palm Beach ‘Canes Club was established by Ben Leis and Mary Clark (our very own JSQ), and their hard work and dedication to the University of Miami has, in just the last couple of seasons, turned into one of the most attended and popular UMAA (University of Miami Alumni Association) chapters among the UM alumni clubs across the nation.

Mike, Mary, Randy, and Shelton

Membership and attendance to Game Watch parties continues to grow in popularity. Please visit the official site of the Palm Beach ‘Canes Club: (its link can be found under our Favorite Sites List also)

The highlights of the evening were the interaction from these former Hurricane stars with the crowd. The fans in attendance had a chance to ask these former greats questions, not something every university makes available or even seeks out. I was very impressed by Walsh, Blades, Thomas, and Bailey Jr., and their presence and participation reminded me of why the University of Miami is a family. After listening to their answers from questions by the crowd, it really is “All About the U!” I won’t go into too much detail about what the Q&A was like, because you can listen for yourself:

Shelton Douthett and JSQ are interviewed after the players by AllCanes Radio, starting at the 1:24:00 mark in the above listed link.

What I want to report are my personal experiences and interactions. Hurricane Randy and I (miamimike01) were asked to be greeters. What an awesome assignment. We met so many great ‘Canes fans; it felt like home. I know many fans don’t get to experience the home game atmosphere, but it truly felt great to be around so many like minded people. Fans are genuinely excited about this season, and for good reason.

But what made the evening special for Randy and I was getting to talk with Steve and Bennie.

Hurricane Randy and Bennie Blades

Steve walked into the door, and Randy called him over to us. Steve introduced himself, and we asked him about his team (he’s the head coach of Cardinal-Newman HS). He told us he expects them to be much better, with cautious optimism. We also caught up with him after the event, and if you listen to the audio, he explained further to us the question he answered for Randy during the Q&A regarding visualizing, and how it helped him prepare and perform for games. He told us that he actually got to the point if he made a bad pass during a game, he visualized a stop sign; the red-colored, octagonal sign we all use everyday in our lives. He would take a couple of seconds, close his eyes, visualize the stop sign, and make the correction in his memory. After he opened his eyes, he was able to move on from the bad or unproductive play and continue the drive.

We also got the chance to chat with Bennie for a few minutes after he got done speaking. He told Randy and me that bottom line, he expects Miami to be no less than 5-1 after six games. He said there is too much talent on this team not to compete for the ACC Championship. Bennie sees the potential for greatness from the 2010 version of the Miami Hurricanes, and he told us that expectations are high from the former players heading into this season. He didn’t share what game he thought UM might lose, but he calls for 5-1 after six.

Shelton Interviews with AllCanes Radio

I want to thank the fine folks at Miller’s Ale House in Boca for their hospitality, the guys at AllCanes Radio and Brian “The Beast” London for their words of encouragement regarding Eye of the Hurricane and taking time to interview JSQ and Shelton. Thanks to the Palm Beach ‘Canes Club, especially Ben and Mary, for making this experience possible; it’s a night Randy and I won’t soon forget.

Go Canes! It’s All About the []_[]!

BIG DADDY CANE says:

TWO WEEKS AND COUNTING……..

2. []_[]!!

3. 2 weeks!

4. Of all the great RB’s…….

Fastest: OJ Simpson
    Toughest: Jim Brown
    Powerful: Marion Motley
    Most Elusive: Barry Sanders
    Best Receiver: Thurman Thomas
    Greatest Vision: Emmitt Smith
    Most Versatile: Marshall Faulk
    Most Physically Gifted: Eric Dickerson

………as far as I’m concerned, anyways.

5. I want to share a quick story.

On our way back to Jacksonville this morning and afternoon, me and Randy got a chance to talk. My father is my best friend, and Randy was sharing old school Hurricane stories with me. (I’ve heard them all before, LOL, but its cool to hear some again)

After hearing these stories, I asked him his feelings now, regarding the U, the team he grew up watching in the OB. He obviously passed his love of the ‘Canes on to me.

He told me that he never thought possible of meeting Steve, Bennie, Lamar, DBJ, among others, including Highsmith and his whole family: players on which the U Dynasty was built. He never envisioned moving back to FL, or even for that matter, getting to interact personally with these players and having experiences such as last night. He didn’t realize until a few years ago what kind of love he taught me for the orange and green.

He told me that I’ve taken him to new levels of fandom: running this blog, interviewing incoming freshman on the phone, Bruce Feldman. Him being able to listen to the interviews, going to games, reading all the articles I write first, checking for errors before I send them to Mary’s careful eye; he’s just amazed and thankful that my love for the U has brought him closer to the program that his dad loved and cherished.

Hank, my grandfather, would be proud and would give anything to see the success UM has had in the last 30 years. While he ushered in the OB, Randy told me that Hank always dreamed of UM playing in the Orange Bowl; a meaningful game, much less for three National Championships and winning them. That day never came while Hank was alive. (he passed in 1969)

But Randy told me that if Hank were alive today, that he would have been with us at the PBCC event last night, and that he would have been proud of our effort in establishing this site for fellow Canes fans. Hank would have been more blown away by what we’ve accomplished in such a short time.

Hank would approve. Go Canes!

6. Yeah, Hurricane Football means that much… U Family!!

7. miamimike01 says:
    August 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    For those that haven’t seen the new UM Football poster: It’s a shot of J12, Brandon, CMac, Hank, Bailey, and Bosher in the UM Locker Room.

Our top 6 players on the countdown.

Accident? Nahhhhh…
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

another reason to call a car "six" . . . pretty soon, "ride me 6" will replace "gimme 5" for EOTH readership.

8. nice article, though i wouldn’t mind more tidbits thrown out there for those of us who will not listen to a 2-hour tape of it.

mm – nice splurb about you & randy at 12:21 am

is it now oficially less than 2 weeks before the first game?

9. yeah. Less than two weeks.

Autumn, listen after the 1:24:00 mark. Less than 30. Worth the listen.

10. You can fast forward/rewind on the audio clip. It’s too much to information to cover. If I had written about everything, we’re talking about a three-parter. There’s a wealth of information in the audio.

11. i think datcane already posted the newer ss posts from gorten . . . just read the one he did about latwans plane ticket:

hey steve gorten, good one . . . ride me 6!

12. miamimike01 says:
    August 20, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    yeah. Less than two weeks.

Autumn, listen after the 1:24:00 mark. Less than 30. Worth the listen.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

will do. thanx.

13. here is a really wonderful, feel-good story about randy phillips . . . datcane might have already posted a link, its good enough to post again . . . and i include about a third of the article here:

“The shoulder was torn up early in the season last fall and he was told he had two options — have surgery right then and miss his senior season, or play through the pain and have the surgery after the season.
    He was also told, though, that delaying the surgery until January could be a fatal blow to his draft chances since he likely wouldn’t be completely healthy for the East-West game or the combine.
    “I knew that if I had the surgery early I’d get drafted,” said Phillips, who has been one of the pleasant surprises thus far in the Lions camp. “But I wasn’t going to let my teammates down. I was going to be there for the team every step of the way because we were trying to win something big, the ACC championship, and we were in it all the way.
    “I had missed the previous year (with a knee injury) and I wasn’t about to miss another. I didn’t care about the combine or the East-West game or any of that. I just wanted to finish the season with my teammates and try to win as many games as I could for the university. As a leader, they counted on me.”

Was that strength of character going to show up on some psychological evaluation at the combine? Could they have gotten any true sense of his fierce determination and what’s fueling it?
    Would they have found out that he has 19 siblings and that he and his father raised them alone, without a mother?
    Can you measure the maturity that comes with having that kind of responsibility foisted on you at such an early age?
    “I’ve been a leader all my life,” he said. “With football, with my family, I mean 19 siblings and it was pretty much just me and my dad — just growing up the rough way, all the boys and all the girls just looking out for each other and I just tried to be the best, most positive role model I could be.”
    So use that as a foundation for what’s driving Randy Phillips and then, when you see how far he’s come and how fast he’s come since he showed up four days after training camp started, you won’t be surprised.
    He wasn’t drafted. He wasn’t at the Lions rookie mini-camp over the summer. He was called in to participate in the team’s three-day mini-camp, but he still wasn’t healthy. He still couldn’t show fully what he was capable of on the football field.
    But four days into camp, with starting free safety Louis Delmas out with a groin injury and veteran Marquand Manuel playing himself off the roster, Phillips got what he was praying for — a callback, an opportunity.
    He was in camp just one day when he was inserted in Delmas’ spot with the first-team defense. And he stayed there, and has played well, until now when Delmas is almost healthy enough to reclaim his spot.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100819/SPORTS0101/8190336/Leadership-just-part-of-the-game-for-Lions-rookie-Randy-Phillips#ixzz0x7gmTdDr

14. after 1:24, it’s Shelton then JSQ.

15. “As North Carolina paces anxiously back and forth awaiting a conclusion to the NCAA’s investigation before the start of the regular season, a player expected to play at least a minimal role in their defensive line rotation has abruptly left the school.

According to a press release issued by the school, true freshman defensive lineman Brandon Willis has decided to transfer from the university. Head coach Butch Davis said that family issues led to Willis’ decision.

“Brandon Willis and his father informed us that he is going to withdraw from school,” Davis said following practice Thursday.

“It’s a sad situation. Brandon lost his mother less than a year ago and they’ve gone through some family hardships and some family difficulties. His father has been looking for employment and was informed yesterday that he was able to find a job. The unfortunate thing is he found a job in Southern California and he is really adamant about trying to keep his family together. He’s asked both of his sons to join him in moving out there.

“That’s all that we really know at this time. We’re happy that his father was able to find a job in this economy. Brandon is a good kid and we wish him the best.”

The early word on the street is that the lineman could ultimately wind up with UCLA.

Willis, rated as the No. 7 defensive end in the country by Rivals.com, was an early enrollee this past January and took part in spring practice, leading to assumptions that he could become an immediate contributor to the Tar Heels’ defense.”

from: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

16. no birds out there (dangling an early worm)?

17. “Parker ’99-percent’ certain he’s done at Clemson after 2010

Posted by John Taylor on August 20, 2010 6:44 AM ET
    Clemson’s coaching staff as well as the fans of the Tigers football program were forced to sweat it out this offseason regarding whether or not they would lose starting quarterback Kyle Parker to baseball.

Come this time next year, there will be no such concern.

In a move that’s expected but still noteworthy, Parker said Thursday afternoon following practice that it’s a near-certainty this would be his final year as a quarterback at the collegiate level. Following the completion of the 2010 season, the redshirt sophomore will fully embark — probably — on his career as a professional baseball player.

“I have a clear understanding with coach Swinney and me that this is 99 percent probably my last year of playing football here,” Parker said. “There’s probably definitely a great chance I’d end up playing baseball only as a career. I signed this (contract) with the intent of playing baseball.”

Late Monday night, Parker agreed to a contract with the Colorado Rockies that will pay him a $1.4 million signing bonus. While he’s all but done as a college player, he may not be completely done with football at a different level.

As Parker is a redshirt sophomore, he will be eligible for the 2011 NFL draft. Parker didn’t completely rule out taking part in February’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis in an attempt to gauge where his pro football stock is after two seasons of starting at a BcS school.

“Honestly, I don’t know right now,” Parker said of his professional future. “I wouldn’t be back playing (football) if I didn’t think I wasn’t any good or there wasn’t any future for me, but is it going to outweigh my baseball future? I don’t know yet.

“Hopefully I can sit back at the end of this season, look at it and make an evaluation. If not, I’ll go play baseball and be the happiest person in the world doing that.”

18. When asked to name his top five, Nick O’Leary, the Sun Sentinel’s No. 1-ranked prospect in Palm Beach County, quickly named Miami first, but had high praise for FSU.

“Right now, I kind of like FSU, the surroundings, the best, but I don’t know yet,” O’Leary said. “I liked [ UNC] a lot.”

O’Leary also said he was impressed with his visits to Alabama and Georgia, which is his father’s alma mater. He didn’t mention anything, however, about Ohio State, his grandfather’s alma mater and one of the numerous Division I programs that already have offered him a scholarship.”

— Steve Dorsey

19. Woo Hoo Mary! I just listened to you on Allcanes radio, Great Job!

20. steve gorten tidbits (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_college_hurricanes/):

Extra points: Byrd, Figueroa and more
    by: Steve Gorten August 20th, 2010 | 7:43 AM
    CORAL GABLES — We’re never able to get everything we hope from the 10 to 15 minutes at the start of practice we’re allowed to watch as media, but I am thankful for what is available to us. That said, here are a few notes from this morning’s Hurricanes practice:

— RT Joel Figueroa, who was one of the players Coach Randy Shannon said sat out Wednesday’s scrimmage because they were nicked, isn’t practicing. DB Keion Payne, who also sat out the scrimmage, did practice.

— WR LaRon Byrd (knee) was walking around without crutches, but doing so gingerly with a little limp. He’s still wearing a brace on his left leg.

— Three players were practicing wearing green non-contact jerseys. I couldn’t make out who they were (I know, not much help), but one appeared to be CB Ryan Hill.

— Colin McCarthy was working at middle linebacker with the first team early in 7-on-7 – haven’t noticed that before. Not sure if there’s anything to it or not. If so, Kylan Robinson must not have been too impressive in the scrimmage. With McCarthy inside this morning, Ramon Buchanan was first team on the weak side.

— The grind of training camp seems to be affecting freshman OT Seantrel Henderson some. He was winded doing the individual drills.

— S Jamal Reid was working with the first team in 7-on-7 drills. Ray-Ray Armstrong was second team.

21. McCarthy to the middle…thank the good Lord!

BIG DADDY CANE says:

THIS IS WHAT I POSTED ON SENTINEL THIS MORNING….AND I’M RIGHT ON WITH MY ASSESSMENTS…..

ONE thing i have noticed Steve is that u put up a lot of Um stuff whether bad or good …damn near every nuck and cranny,,,,while UF only get good post for people to read… One things for sure the BAD for UF will be on display when they take the field with a lot of people with little playing time against talented teams…Take a look at UF site and see HOW GENERIOUS U ALL ARE…the only negative is a recruit ntransfering while ours is evrey player injured , not in class, not arrived yet…U see i smell Bias reporting when i see it….Don’t worry though Um will be in the spot light while Uf will take a back seat this year…Shannon has paid his dues….now God is about to reward that.

23. Good News at LB…

At start of drills Colin McCarthy in middle with the 1 defense, Kylan with the 2 defense in middle. OLBs with first group were Ramon Buchanan and Sean Spence.

Another change: Jamal Reid worked as the first team safety opposite Vaughn Telemaque to start drills.

LaRon Byrd was walking gingerly coming off bone bruise to knee. Joel Figueroa also held out and working with trainers for apparent upper extremity injury. Brandon McGee and Ryan Hill were suited up but in green no-contact jerseys. Jared Campbell didn’t participate and was walking on the sidelines gingerly. Curtis Porter also was held out.

Graig Cooper showed a great burst on a route up the seam that went incomplete. Got a lot of separation. Damien Berry took first group reps at start of drills with Cooper with the second team.

Captain Optimist says:

Hurri’ says:
    August 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    Of all the great RB’s…….

Fastest: OJ Simpson
    Toughest: Jim Brown
    Powerful: Marion Motley
    Most Elusive: Barry Sanders
    Best Receiver: Thurman Thomas
    Greatest Vision: Emmitt Smith
    Most Versatile: Marshall Faulk
    Most Physically Gifted: Eric Dickerson

………as far as I’m concerned, anyways.

>>>>>>>

Bo was better, ask anyone who played against him.

25. Mike, check e-mail

26. thanx mike – listened to the last 30 minutes . . . shelton & mary both did very well.
    charmers.

27. 13 days…..

28. Thanks, autumn!

I was like “You want me? On the radio?”

[drinks half of glass of wine]

“Okay!!!”

BIG DADDY CANE says:
    August 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I think the new guy at the Sentinel is already doing 1000 times better than Shandel ever did. Shandel reminds me of a Coker recruit, going through the motions waiting for something good to happen to him.

30. DAT, our prayers have been answered.

All my “lalalalalalala” with my ears plugged has obviously worked.

McCarthy at the mike! Hallelujah!!!

31. JSQ I heard the cupcake plug too!

Getting my season tickets next month, will not be able to do the FAMU game and I am sad :(! It will be weird to not go to a home game until October.

32. All the BS about the SEC, Tennessee cowardly refuse to play Carolina. What does that say about the SEC

33. Hilarious.

Post-Practice Laughs

A couple of funny moments post-practice….First one came from junior wide receiver Aldarius Johnson… Wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill was getting a workout in after practice had ended. After a few sprints on Greentree, Johnson yelled to an exhausted Hill to stand up straight up and keep his hands off his knees, giving the coach a little taste of his own medicine…..The second came from defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff, who decided to join the players in their usual post-practice ice tubs. McGriff slowly worked his way in with Jared Wheeler and Kylan Robinson, getting laughs from the crowd around him as he struggled to get in.

34. Champs bowl on espnU…if interested

A shout out to Mary (JSQ) and Ben Leis for their work with the Palm Beach “U” Alumni Kickoff Party. The work they have done in building the Palm Beach club is amazing. Go Canes!!!!

It was awesome and just so you know, Steve Walsh, Bennie Blades, Lamar Thomas and Don Bailey Jr. are very personal, positive and friendly guys. Each of them took time to chat with fans, sign autographs and participated in an informative question and answer forum with the fans.

i especially enjoyed talking with Don Bailey Sr. He is a great story teller and funny (Ha Ha) man.Tells a wicked joke and obviously a great supporter of Don Bailey Jr. and the U.

All Canes was there with their store and interactive radio blog. It was an event and evening I will long remember. It is also a fond Canes memory and story that I won’t have to share over and over again with MM01 because we were there together. LOL! Besides I don’t tell the same story twice… maybe three times but never twice.

Something special is building at Green Tree and I can’t wait.

36. I hope Holmes drops out of the DT rotation all together this year

I think Randy Shannon stated in post practice comments that CM had been practicing in the middle since fall camp started. He plays the middle in nickel situations and has been there some of the time during practice before today. maybe he was referring to the nickel package but it appeared he was referring to other situations as well.

Captain Optimist says:

August 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    Good News at LB…

>>>>>>>

Now it’s starting to make sense. Get Kylan as many reps as possible for depth purposes.

The ONLY thing I don’t like about this opening schedule is the chance of injuries. Thankfully we’re not playing two dirty blocking teams like GT and OU.

39. On second thought,

Bo might have been the most physically gifted.

What was he at his peak? 6’1 220lbs. running a 4.2 forty?

40. Tavadis Glenn isnt gonna sign? Whats the story on this?

Captain Optimist says:

Hurri, yeah but his acceleration was as quick or quicker than Hesters, he had the vision of Faulk/Sanders/Sayers and was tougher/stronger than Brown and Campbell.

One play says it all. When the Raiders were playing Denver he took a quick pitch going to the rigtht, reversed his field, beat the LB to the corner, then ran over Steve Atwater (#31), then out ran the CBs into the endzone where he dove in.

No other RB has ever done anything like that. He still has the highest YPC and number of runs of 20+ yards of any RB with the same number of years as he.

When you throw in his baseball feats, he’s easily the greatest athlete ever. He should’ve competed in the Olympic decathlon just to make the point clear.

42. Bo Jackson was the real deal. I have many of his rookie cards. One of my heroes;)

I’ve never been a big fan of Josh Holmes but we’ll need him for depth. Unless Jeremy Lewis or Luther Robinson make a strong push and assuming Porter/Regis/Forston show up and ball out.

I think the reason we are seeing Colin in the middle is because of the emergence of Ramon B has been killing it in practice with INTs and tackling

August 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM

All my “lalalalalalala” with my ears plugged has obviously worked.

McCarthy at the mike! Hallelujah!!!

———————————————-

I second that emotion!

Captain Optimist says:

DATcane says:
    August 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    I hope Holmes drops out of the DT rotation all together this year

>>>>>>

Either that or make some serious strides but I’d rather see him get passed by Lewis or Robinson.

Captain Optimist says:

Mitch Kamerman says:
    August 20, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Tavadis Glenn isnt gonna sign? Whats the story on this?

>>>>>>

No idea.

47. I don’t know the story on Glenn, but with all the youth we had across the line before SH showed up, I bet he was concerned by being behind a year. Now that SH is there and manhandling people people, that’s 1 less spot available for Glenn to compete for.

Captain Optimist says:

WICane says:
    August 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

>>>>>

Yep. I still hope he comes though. A year of prep would do him good.

49. DAT – At the bowl game last year I was sitting by these groups that were ripping into Holmes and Joseph HARD. And I have to say, at the moment paying attention to him play after play, I have to agree with you. I really hope Robinson or Lewis can step up. Also think we def need one DT in this class. Bg, things still ok with Peat?

Captain Optimist says:

shwarma says:
    August 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

>>>>>>

Shwarm, Joseph and Holmes just aren’t serious athlete’s or DTs. Add Hurtt to the mix and you can see why teams were able to do so many things to us up the middle. You can also see why Regis and Porter have taken over. Forston should be right with them. But we need Robinson/Lewis to take that next step. Holmes has a moment or two here and there but far too often he’s instantly pushed two or three yards back. Lovett did a decent job covering those weaknesses up the middle but any-time you have to protect a weakness up the middle you’re weakening some other part.

Throw Sharpton right behind them and it’s a wonder we won as many games as we did.

That’s one reason why I saw the coaches get nowhere near the credit they deserve because what good those guys did came from the coaches, like Sharpton’s pic-six….Shannon told him to look out for the slant and sure enough there it came.

Captain Optimist says:

Could Glenn play DT or would he outgrow it?

52. Just got a text alert from UCF it is appears that they found a dead body by Millican Hall. It says not to be alarmed it appears the wounds are self-inflicted, wow, crazy!

53. JSQ,
    Ever represent a client that needed to do a short-sale? I am 90% through my first and I’d rather be having a root canal with no anesthesia. If you haven’t done it, I have 2 pieces of advice. 1. DON’T DO IT. 2. If you must do one, bill hourly (of course the bank has to agree to your fee, so see piece of advice #1). I’m sure Canechic has a good idea of what I’m going through over here. OK, just needed to vent.

54. Yes Short sales are bad! You must be persistent and always stay on the lender and be sickening sweet, ugh! They are miserable, long and still may not close.

55. Haha, WICane, fortunately, no. I do securities and consumer class actions so the closest I have gotten to short sales is working on stuff in our Freddie Mac securities fraud case!

56. And vent away!!!! That’s what your U Family is here for! We keep each other sane! :-D

57. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2010/08/tgi-friday-aug-20-practice-notes.html
    various notes from scrimmage from susan miller degnan.

susan’s opening line on the practice notes is great:
    “I want to get out some important information to Mr. Capitan Optimisticus, who sounds like a sexy Fred Flintstone when he full-throatedly shouts out my name, particularly in the shower.
    Honey, this one’s for you!”

58. steve “i got this” gorten, has slam-dunked shandel so hard the rim is bent . . .

as usual, 4 more posts today:

a couple about the practices; one about “Safeties pushing each other”; and one about “McCarthy’s move to the middle”.

decent stuff too . . . some of its already been discussed here.

59. a couple things from milian
    (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/2010/08/20/colin-mccarthy-is-hurricanes-new-starting-middle-linebacker-or-is-he/):

“….The hope is that either sophomore Jake Wieclaw or walk-on freshman Ben Hopfinger will grab the job as the team’s kickoff specialist from senior Matt Bosher, but Shannon said the position is “still open.”

….Allen Bailey and Adewale Ojomo get most of the ink among UM’s defensive ends but junior Andrew Smith has put up the best numbers since the spring. In Wednesday night’s scrimmage, Smith had 10 tackles to go with 3 sacks. Said Shannon: “I’m excited by the way he’s going…he’s doing an unbelievable job in pass rush.”

….Shannon said he hasn’t decided on a back-up quarterback. Alonzo Highsmith Jr., Spencer Whipple and Stephen Morris each had a “had a good scrimmage. They’re all moving the football. They’ll stumble here and there, but the more they improve and scrimmage, the more they’ll be [ready for] game-type situations.”

60. Been at it for months. I made it all the way to the final ‘negotiator.’ I had her sounding as if she really wanted to get this thing done (and there’s only a month left before the court ordered sheriff’s sale due to the recent foreclosure action). By the time I got that far, I was already prepared to drive to texas and take their office, post office style. Finally, she said she would take my proposal to her superiors and get back to me, but said she would recommend that they take my deal. That was 3 weeks ago. Ever since that day, her phone has gone to voicemail 24/7. Never even called me to say no. The realtor and I have both left 3 messages on her voicemail per day ever since. Today was the deadline to close, I haven’t heard back, and the buyers have stated repeatedly they refuse to give us any more extensions. I made a final plea to her voicemail at 6am this morning and then got the email from our realtor: the buyers are giving us until Sept 3! So, this time I send an email to the negotiator, pleading for her to use common sense and outlining how many ways she stands to make so much more from this short sale than from a sheriff’s sale. I get an immediate phone call from her. Mike, I’m so sorry. I was supposed to get back to you. Our phone system has changed and I haven’t heard a single message you left. This deal was approved 3 weeks ago, but sadly I’m not going to be able to help finish it off because I’m quitting this coming Wed. It’s being assigned to another negotiator to finish off, but unfortunately, she’s quitting 2 days after I am, so you should really try to hurry to get this done. Um, thank you i guess?

61. BY MIKE MCCALL

MIAMI HERALD WRITER

GAINESVILLE — Freshman receiver Adrian Coxson asked for and was granted his release from the UF football program Thursday, the second freshman that came from Maryland to transfer from the program this week.
    Safety Jordan Haden was the first, leaving after the pressure of following his brother, former Gators cornerback Joe Haden, became too much to deal with. A UF spokesman said Coxson’s decision to leave the program was made out of a desire to be closer to hometown of Baltimore.
    • Senior wideout Carl Moore caused a stir during spring practice when he briefly left the team, and while he wasn’t specific about why, he said it had nothing to do with football.
    “I was just dealing with some personal issues on my own,” Moore said about his departure Wednesday. “That was just a couple of days.”
    He added that he met with coaches each day during that period, and he also said he’s fully healthy from the back injury — a bulging disc aggravated during an off-season workout — that kept him sidelined for the 2009 season.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/20/1784109/adrian-coxson-granted-release.html#ixzz0xBAFfcI3

62. canechic says:
    August 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

putting the saleswoman on top helps to put wind in those sails/sales?

63. pro’s and con’s of putting the saleswoman on top depend a great deal on the saleswoman. and one should not be lulled into a false sense of security just because she has a sexy phone voice.

64. This deal was approved 3 weeks ago, but sadly I’m not going to be able to help finish it off because I’m quitting this coming Wed. It’s being assigned to another negotiator to finish off, but unfortunately, she’s quitting 2 days after I am, so you should really try to hurry to get this done. Um, thank you i guess?

Hmmmm you think they have a problem at this bank? Anyway see why I resigned from my real estate job. It is like dealing with 4 year old’s all day! I do not miss it one little bit. Mortgage companies are really broken right now! You see most of them let everyone go and kept the bottom feeders. They are now busy again and the smart ones have moved on to better things. Oh and not to mention that they work these people about 12 to 14 hours a day, Saturday and Sunday….big trouble.

65. My post was just gobbled.

66. canechic says:
    August 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    My post was just gobbled.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yeah, jsq runs a mean censorship policy here

67. Mars did another outstanding job. It’s really good.

68. miamimike01 says:
    August 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    Mars did another outstanding job. It’s really good.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

um, so, venus is satisfied?

am i missing something here?

69. Mars is my friend Marcelo, who wrote an amazing article for us in the spring. His article will post on Sunday.

j/k, autumn, I am just a *little* protective of my friends. ;-)

70. Mike, check out my picture on Facebook of my season tickets. Doesn’t Sebastian look like he knows what I’m holding?! haha

71. oh, sorry autumn.

Mars is a friend of Mary who will write for us once a month. (fingers crossed)

Here’s a link to follow from one of his previous works:

72. I just saw it. LOL, it does look like he knows!

73. Sebas is holding out for the day that puppies are allowed into the stadium. He’s the biggest little furry ‘Canes fan there is! :-)

Besides Baraka, of course.

74. I think Sebastian beats him. Baraka doesn’t light up when we say “Jacawy Harris” LOL!

75. JSQ says:
    August 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    Mars is my friend Marcelo, . . . And if anyone makes fun of Mars’ nickname or anything else related to my boy, I will attack like you insulted Randy or Willis. We all saw what happened with the suckeye!

j/k, autumn, I am just a *little* protective of my friends
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

hey jsq – time to eat a mars bar & lighten up.
    i ain't no "attacker".
    you can leave your grrrrr and go right to purrr when i'm on here.

76. Um, Mike, his name is properly pronounced

“Jacowy Hawwis!”

in Sebastian-speak. Can’t forget that exclamation point, either! ;-)

Speaking of the most handsome boy in the whole world, it’s about time to get out of the office for my hot date with Sebas, Joey, DVR, and bed. I still need to catch up on sleep from this week!

Good news though! I got busses from West Palm Beach and Boca to take my PBCC members to games this season starting with FSU for just $10!!! Great for older folks and folks with young children who aren’t big on tailgating.

I also have someone willing to run a game watch in north county! Woo hoo!

Like Dolly Parton’s character exclaimed in Steel Magnolias “I’M A FRANCHISE!!!”

It’s been a productive day in ‘Canes land.

Talk to y’all later! :-D

77. Wow, eat a Mars bar? Don’t let him see that . . .

Dang!

78. canechic says:
    August 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    My post was just gobbled.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

okay – the blog belched a long time ago . . . why don't you give us some clues as to why your post was so yummy.
    been waiting . . .

79. thanks for the correction, lol!

80. just read the link to the other martian post from april . . . you guys are right; dude is good.

81. autumn, what are your feelings on this new sun-sentinel Canes beat writer, Steve Gorten?

82. miamimike01 says:
    August 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    like i said before – dude is killing it so far; slam dunk city . . . flushed shandel all the way out to sea.

83. mike, you met steve, or?
    good dude, i take it?

84. Randy and I both did. Really nice guy, very accessible. Took the time to chat with us a couple of times. I was really impressed

85. thats good.
    with manny swimming after marlins most of the time, its good to have someone really taking the time to follow the canes.

The Truth says:

Mars Bar? Talk about going back in time!!!

87. What’s the good word, T?

The Truth says:

Life…Mike. Life is good.

I have another great weekend ahead of me with my favorite little person on the planet and all the trials and tribulations of the past two weeks completely do not matter.

He’s the best dose of perspective I have ever had. Thank god for this kid!

Canes wise I am stoked about this team. With Jacory they have a real chance to be in the top 5. I had a great conversation with a friend that gets to see the O every day and he says “don’t worry ’bout that” every single time I ask him what they look like when they run plays.

He says no one is going to stop them.

89. As long as we get the best 3 linebackers on the field, i like having ramon buchanon out their one things for sure, he won’t get beat to the sideline, that’s where his speed shows up, plus he knows this is his 3rd year, time to shine. If it’s spence, buchanon and cmac out their, i’m cool with that. ramon will just add more athleticism to the defense, i can see him picking off a few passes and taking em back for for six.

I also like seeing how bailey, dvd, ojomo and jojo nicolas are roomates, that’s what college is all about right their, guys bonding and doing their thang. A guy like allen bailey, he’s one of those guys that you want on your team for 8 years. One ofthe best sacks besides the game ending sack bailey got against v-tech was last year, the way he gobbled ponder up inside the 5 yard line, when he touches people, they go down. Than i luv what he had to say about tebow before we played them, when somebody asked him about “is he worried about tebow running over defenders” bailey was like, “he can try”. This d-line will start feeding off each other, a guy like marcus robinson will definitely start making more plays, hell maybe we should move marcus to the middle next year. shayon green, jut like i expected, may not get a chance to see the field while here except on special teams, i can’t see him being a middle linebacker.

paging kevin nelson, has anyone seen him thus far. Just like i figured, haven’t heard from him since he’s gotten here either. Like shannon said though, this is the biggest most athletic lines thats ever been at UM, and he wasn’t lying when he said harland 310 6″2 looks like a midget compared to the other guys. Welcome back coach stoutland(And yes alot of us knew coach stout had heart surgery a while back cav, i think u did too, u just forgot, cause it was posted up way back when), “NO EXCUSES”.

I like seeing fsu get talent, like lamarcus joyner, and now wilder, that’s good for them, now it seems like they’ll probably have a better chance at getting nick o’leary, cause the competition here is not for the weak at heart, if he’s willing ot come in and compete with the group we have and prove himself, welcome home, in fact, after this year, he’ll have to compete with chase, asante, clive walford possibly billy sanders, so their is room for em, but if he wants it easy, ok, go to fsu and we’ll see you when we see you, next season and every season after that. Right now, shannon 2 fsu 1, next year shannon 3 dumbo fisher 0. They doing a real good job in recruiting though. The fsu games even while both teams were down have still been good games, but these games coming up in the near future, going back to how it use to be, “to the good it makes them fold, but to the GREAT, “that’s us” it makes us FOCUS”.

shannon knows what type of players/athletes we need at UM, so no matter what happens anywhere else, we bringing that fire to the field. When i heard shannon saying this team is starting to take on his mentality now, UH OH. He has taught this team to literally luv & respect competition and look forward to it, that brings out the best in everybody or the worst.

90. Good to hear Truth.

91. ANNOUNCEMENT:

Eye of the Hurricane has been selected as a voting partner in the Blogpoll. Details to follow over the weekend.

Here’s your assignment as a reader: Develop a Pre-season Top 25. Your vote counts, and you must defend strange picks. What we’ll do is take an average of everyone who votes. Ties will be broken and voted upon by myself and JSQ. Then I’ll comment the average Top 25 and send it in to the Blogpoll for our vote.

Be fair, try your best to be unbiased, and we look forward to seeing your votes. Taking votes until Sunday 6 PM.

92. We’ll do this every week until after the NC.

93. Mary, what a fun night!

94. We saw gimpses of what this offense was going to look like last year, and last year we were surprised when people stopped us, this year, those glimpses like the 1st drive of the fsu game and the 1st 3 or 4 drives of the usf game is the type offense i expect to see from us basically all year, any team that defers to us in the 1sthalf will pay with constant points to where teams will began to receive the ball 1st to try and run clock to try and shorten the games to keep the offense off the field. Defensively if we start scoring points or just getting turn-overs on a regular basis, it’s all over for college football, that’s why i like what i see the emphasis being put on this year is 3rd down defense, we did real well last year in getting teams in 3rd and longs, just didn’t get offthe field enuff. We did real well in redzone defense as well, this year i expect consistency from the offense and defense this year, if this team becomes that balanced this year, your friend knows what he’s talking about.

Also, i can see us being a more run oriented team this year as well, just because we’ll be able to pick up good yards out their on 1st and 2nd downs, we have a run oriented offensive line this year, pass protection, we’ll see though. The days of us playing passive just because a team has us pinned down inside our 5 yard line are over, you pin us down inside our 5 yard line, we dare you to play man defense. One of my favorite UM plays of all time was after watching jacory throw that interception for a touchdown against clemson, wathcing 1st, i don’t know if whipple calledthe play or not, but i’m sure he did, and watching jacory come right back and throw a strike/bomb to travis benjamin on the very next offensive series, you could tell jacory was pissed at that i.n.t. and made up for it rigth away. That play alone just showed everything jacory is made up of.

The Truth says:

What will be the strength of the offense?

96. Balance will be the strength of the offense, because we will literally be able to run and pass equally. With an o-line by nature that’ll be more physical, with bigger, stronger and faster runningbacks, i can only point to balance being the strength, but like all great teams, they can run the football at will. This is the last year i can see us having a suspect o-line, with the exception of righ tackle come next year, but if that’s solidified, we’ll have an o-line that’s just as good as any other unit on the field.

Also, i know i dog fluzzi alot on here, but i will say this, he can coach the tight-end spot, special teams, i don’t want him near it except for trick plays, because he’s money on that, which is what i’d like to see us do like we always did back in the day when we played against the so called big named schools, we go down, score a touchdown, and than the next go round, they might get us in a punting down or fieldgoal situation and BAM, we’d hit em with th trick play and be up 14 to nothing before they knew it.

moneycane says:

Calvin you getting me hyped for the season!! Sept. 2nd the college football world will be rudely awoken.

98. Ooooh Mars just told me Patrick and he are working on a joint article! Can’t wait to see that!!!

99. Truth, sent you an easy recipe for little Truth. Works with tonight’s dinner or alone. :-)

moneycane says:

JSQ you making it to Hotlanta for the Tech game?

101. I have a work conflict, Money so let’s hope Game Day Cakes takes off! :-)

102. Just read Mars’ part of the joint article. You guys are going to LOVE it. Cav and Canez1 in particular, I think. Soooo good. Will run the week before we avenge the pass interference call as part of a weeklong series dedicated to honoring all things ‘Canes and slamming all things suckeyes. F’ing cheaters!!!

moneycane says:

Boooooo!!!! Well I hope the work conflict works out. It would be great for Nikki and I to see you guys.

104. Thanks, Money. I hope I can make it. If not, there’s always the bartending in Bahamas idea. Did you book our transport, yet Truth?

moneycane says:

Good job on the “all canes” interview. I wouldn’t call this site under the radar.

106. moneyCane, it’s all about execution consistently this year and guys know it, once the defense starts getting turn-overs, and i’mma say this, if dvd starts playing like he did at pace where he had alot of confidence and he messes around and goes for a pick six against osu, the rest of the defense will get as hype as pigs in slop cause although dvd plays soft at times, he is a great teammate though, i’m rooting for em as well as the other guys, and with the speed he has, and like he said, he feeds off allen bailey, once dvd learns to get them butterflies out hs stomach once the balls in the air and go attack the ball, he’ll be hell out their, and here’s to mike rumph working with dvd too.

107. I know I am a little late, but I am so glad that I got to meet (again) Randy and Mike…such great guys…Mike, your story about your dad being your best friend and sharing his U experience with you got me a bit choked up. Looking forward to a great season hanging with you and JSQ!!! GO CANES!

The Truth says:

Great meal idea JSQ. Heading to publix in the AM tomorrow to get the ingredients to make it tomorrow night. It’s going to be fun.

I think you’re right. This offense is going to keep defenses guessing. What do you stop?

My worry is that teams will go Mickey Andrews on Jacory and try to late hit him to death.

109. Back at ya, Tereina.

Enjoyed seeing you again as well, can’t wait for FAMU!

The Truth says:

Moderation preview? Blog monster is hungry!!

Captain Optimist says:

Truth, you’re asking us to pick ONE area?? haha I’d say the strength will be the ability to tear off large chunks of yardage in one play, running and passing, 30+ yard gains. To me that will be the biggest strength.

Cal, yeah I’m still not sold on Dumbo as a HC. We’ll see on 9-11. Did you catch Shannon’s statement about “people feeling the vibration of the Miami Hurricanes football program getting back to where it used to be…”
    Deep and serious…Just like saying the team’s taking on his mentality. Buchanon-CMac -Spence is a legit starting 3. Seriously legit. The question will be who’s first off the bench until Futch is 100%? Probably Cornelius or K-Rob. Nelson will have his chances though. What I like more than anything though is all these LBs and DBs on special teams. Now Fluzzi really has NO EXCUSES. Don’t write off Shayvon yet. Cat is cock diesel. He just needs to dots to connect in his head. Sometimes it takes a little longer. The good thing is he’s libel to get passed by true frosh if he doesn’t pick it up. I think the competition next year might be with him, Nelson and maybe Futch for the Mike.

Whatever the combo we know it’s almost lights out time for CFB once again. OSU’s just going to be the first to learn.

112. Captain, I need a Top 25 poll from you. Sunday 6 pm is the deadline