Notes from the Dade County Scrimmage

I know you are all eager to hear details from this morning’s scrimmage so here are a few notes, pictures, and later on, videos.  Eye of the Hurricane will have a full recap of the scrimmage from the infamous and very cranky and tired blogger, The Truth, coming soon.

• Our defense is, um, scary.  Intense.  Hyped.  Fired up.  A few times I thought Ray Ray Armstrong might come over and scream in my face too.  The intensity was evidenced in some HARD hits (like you could hear the “SMACK” from a mile away) from guys like Marcus Robinson, Ramon Buchanan, and especially Jordan Futch.  I got goosebumps hearing how amped they were.  It bodes well that they can channel that aggression against our toothless trailer-dwelling neighbors to the north in November.

• Jacory Harris had a really good game.  Is he the best QB?  The jury is really out.  Most of us can agree that Stephen Morris has the better arm and is more of a raw talent but with less experience.  Today Jacory made some excellent throws and scrambled a bit as well.  Morris had an amazing throw but a terrible interception.  The defense also racked up some sacks.

• Tommy Streeter is REALLY GOOD.  Not sure how someone can cover this guy if he manages to do his job.  As Jacory Harris said in his interview after practice, “When Streeter is on, he can’t be stopped.”  Let’s hope the new regime can keep the Streeter switch permanently on.
  • On injuries:  As said above, the defense was all riled up and registered some really hard hits.  The hit on Mike James had Don Bailey Jr. and I concerned he had a concussion.  Looks like he just got his bell rung as he was later yelling at his teammates from the sidelines and jumping up and down.  Golden stated in his post-scrimmage interview that Laron Byrd, Marcus Robinson, and James were all fine.  I didn’t see Byrd after the scrimmage but I did see Robinson limping off the field with his left ankle taped up.  As our former coach would say, he got “nicked.”

• Field goals were much better.  Not time to stop worrying entirely about this unit, but they are improving.

• Overall, the most important thing I took from this scrimmage came from the mouth of Jacory Harris.  He talked about how a lot of times when there is a coaching change, players will rebel.  He talked about how the team has really embraced Coach Golden’s mission and are behind him and have taken on his goals as their own (I’m paraphrasing, but you get the idea).  Look for continued improvement on offense and defense next weekend at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale after these boys get a few more practices under their belts.

GO ‘CANES!!!

1. Thanks for uploading this.

2. great read

3. It’s nice to see M-Rob out there again. And I love what I’m hearing about Streeter.

4. Thanks, guys and nice first, Ronny!!!

Sounds like bg is geting closer his wish…but if that’s what equals W’s then so be it. Futch’s interview I thoguht was great, and I like what I heard from Golden and Fisch had to say today

6. thanks to jay ess que and the truth for suffering through early year heat to get this info as well

it’s 91 in that area up north you were referring to.. so i can just imagine how it feels down there.

7. DAAAAAYUMN.

Chase Ford beasting on Jordan Futch.

8. Yeah, Bennie, those videos were all part of my “stalking” efforts. 😉

Having technical difficulties so some of them might be uploaded on my channel twice.

Just want to get all this info out before I lay down for my afternoon nap. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night, which is why I told Truth and KL Jr. to stop their b!tching because they got more sleep than I did. I just have a naturally caffienated personality! :-)

BoriCane says:

great job jsq!! thanks Truth & KL jr!!!! awesome!!

10. I don’t think bg wishes for Jacory to start. I think he wants the best guy but just thinks a lot more of J12 now because he did “not go gentle into that good night.”

Gotta respect that in a kid . . . as long as he stops throwing to the other team.

11. Thanks, Bori! :-)

BoriCane says:

Este,

Agree with your comments. There’s no “guaranteed to be at least in the elite eight” name on that list. Hopefully the Herald reporter took the “do not call” list.!!

13. Or for those of us who are not fans of Welsh poets, J12 is like Ah-nold in the original Terminator. You can rip half his face off and he is still going to battle.
    if I am J12, reading this would make me cringe, remember the terminator got destroyed at the end (lol). Hopefully Jacory can get past that

BoriCane says:

jsq,

bg prediction seems more believable today, which I take as a “we really have a qb position problem”. I am beginning to understand why Golden was loosing sleep over the qb position. As much as I like Morris, the position status is worrisome. There are no other options.

15. Yeah, but he comes back in the sequel and thereafter! Kind of like a new season? I think it’s a pretty good metaphor. And you guys know I like Ah-nold because I took care of his kids on the Shriver campaign when Maria was in town for a few days. He was still in CA filming T3 so I didn’t meet him, just his kids, which have this weird merge between a Kennedy and Austrian accent, if you can picture that! :-)

I’m taking my nap. The youtube videos will be up eventually so you guys should check back in like an hour for more videos. I don’t know if I will have the opportunity to post them later.

Bennie, I just watched that video and it looks like I am batting my eyelashes at people walking by! lol. It was just really really sunny and my sunglasses had some film on them (sunscreen, I think) so I had to keep lifting them up to get a good view! haha :-)

JSQ good point and add lobbing the ball to that list. In fact I don’t have a problem with INT’s as long as they aren’t gimmies, which is what lobs and staring down your receiver are. I mean got to take chances to be great.

Great job, JsQ

18. JSQ – where was your tape recorder to shove in the face of Golden? You looked like you were eaves dropping …

And how in the hell did you not get any grease flown onto you from that full fledged jabroni standing in front of you with the green shirt, sunglasses and about a quart of 10W40 Penzoil in his hair?

ONE LAST THING: Where in the HELL did that blonde come from at the 3:36 mark of the video?

She looks like she was on her knees, servicing Golden and giving him a big welcome to Miami

She even wipes her mouth at 3:42

BWAHAHAHA

19. I’m not falling for that crap again with Jacory – he’s fooled me once .. twice .. and won’t be three times

The QBs aren’t even allowed to get hit in these scrimmages

I’m not giving him any kind of credit for sticking around, b/c like we’ve said, it would’ve been dumb to even think about transferring, who exactly would’ve even used him as a starter and what Senior QB have you ever seen transfer from his school that he’d been a starter for 2.5 years?

Like my boy Canez1 says, he’s pulled the f*ckin rug out from under us too many times now and unlike Charlie Brown with Lucy, I’m not falling for that crap again with the ball being yanked away

20. Canez1 – ya, check to see if your Sports Authority is having that clearance type sale in the Golf Dept.

I got those Tommy Armour no-shows and a sweet ass Taylor Made hat that is supposed to be SPF 30 proof or some crap, white, light as hell material

I’m watching the Rays game and the Masters … at work … that’s right

21. More videos up.

Nap = Unsuccessful.

22. Scratch that. One still in progress.

Here is the link for all the videos:

23. More photos from today’s scrimmage:

24. Calvin says:
    April 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    April 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    wow, that list is underwhelming as all hell. guys who just got fired? and guys who got fired just a couple of years ago after not having much success at all? call up Mike Jarvis if those are the guys you are lookin at.

And the other thing i was thinking was, damyum, this interim guy must not have any real ambitions of being the permanent A.D. or a future either. What kind of bozo list is this. Unless this is a smoke screen, seems like frank martin is getting the mike leach treatment, not even getting interviewed or contacted yet from the last thing i read. Than again, unless the money is scarce because of what goldie and crew is getting than i can see why they trying to go this route, so they’ll be able to have money for assistants too, but i’m quite sure leonard hamilton wouldn’t mind coming back if they asked him. They can’t hold a grudge for him going to the nba when he did, he left the program in real good shape.

25. That pass to clive walford is a pass that jacory is real good at throwing, something we haven’t used in the redzone in about 2 years now it seems now. Also, aldarius johnson is perfect in the redzone, travis benjamin, he hasn’t been a redzone wide receiver since he’s been here, he may develop that in the redzone, but the redzone is for real route runners. I like seeing clive beat ray ray in man coverage, that’ll just make ray ray have to work that much harder, plus, it gives clive more and more confidence, clive is going to be a mismatch, and a stronger chase ford is a baller, he got open last year, just wasn’t finishing plays, this year, he’ll have the strength to do that.

Funny seeing clive dish rag futch, futch better step it up. The bad thing is, futch was already the low man. The offense is making sure the defense pays. mcdermont’s mindset, when they ask him if he thinks the defense will play harder today he said yeah, but basically, we’ll just blocker harder too, lol. If horn holds onto his job for the rest of this spring & year, he’ll probably be 1st team acc, 2nd team at the least.

Six, that is your Sun Sentinel reporter. Did you catch the nose ring?

27. Seems like the crocks are still having problems

28. Aldarius is perfect at warming the bench, Calvin.

That’d be about all.

29. Some of yall on here have amnesia(not just you bennie, you are not alone), especially the ones who keep calling for laron byrd when aldarius has been showing up big since he’s been here.

Bennie hope you were sitting down for that…here it comes 1, 2, 3….

31. • Jacory Harris, more productive than Stephen Morris in Saturday’s scrimmage, has been UM’s best quarterback this spring and has improved his decision-making, officials who watched practices said. He had one big error Saturday (a Jimmy Gaines interception). … Eduardo Clements, moved from running back to cornerback, said he has been shifted to safety, which he never played before last week. Depth behind Vaughn Telemaque (out with a neck brace Saturday) and Ray-Ray Armstrong worries UM. … Cornerback remains in flux. Lee Chambers started because Brandon McGee was sick and was OK except for allowing a touchdown to Tommy Streeter on Harris’ fake spike. Starter JoJo Nicolas was beaten deep once (by Travis Benjamin). Thomas Finnie was beaten for two long gains but intercepted Morris and flashes potential. … Biggest spring surprise: Malcolm Bunche remains ahead of Seantrel Henderson at left tackle. Coach Al Golden’s list of most improved: Bunche, Nicolas, Streeter, tight ends Clive Walford and John Calhoun and center Shane McDermott.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/09/2159552_p2/dwyane-wade-brushes-off-struggles.html#ixzz1J5SHcTCg

32. shwarma5 – na, didn’t catch the nose ring … but I did catch the rest of her body from the neck down in those pics that JSQ provided

eeesh

Weeble … Wobble … she looked almost as big as the other guy that calls himself “Beast” or whatever

33. JSQ – we gotta teach you some sideline etiquette when you’re shooting video from the endzone, ha

34. My baby Erik Morales lost…..

While he still makes for a good scrape, no matter who he’s in with, he just takes WAY too many flush shots over the course of a fight, and while he used to be able to just eat it up, he ain’t 25 years old no more. I hope he ends this comeback, or at least just handpicks guys who can’t punch.

Unlike Miadana, who has 25 KO’s in 28 wins.

35. Six Lmfao!!

That blonde chic was def up to no good.

She popped up and was like what?? What happened?

Lmao!!

Just got finished watching tron. That movie was really good. And the visuals where amazing.

Loved that game.

Lil fockers not so much. Don’t waste ur time. That ish is old as fuk.

As far as the qb situation goes we have seen the song and dance before.

Bullets start flying and so do the bad decisions and fundamentals.

Cal lol u gotta let that aldarius train go. Left the station about a year ago. about the same time Davons did.

Sounds about the right timeline for u tho my man. U r still looking for dent to run out of the tunnel.

😉

U will catch up sooner or later boyeee.

36. I’ve cashed it in on AJ, but I still wish there was a way Davon could get some touches. For whatever reason, I still think he could contribute.

37. If aldarius was j12’s boy, and j12 is doing his thing A-GAIN, can’t rule him out just yet. Other than benjamin, no other receiver on the roster has come up bigger than aldarius, a.k.a. mr. clutch. He get over that injury and he’ll be straight. tyler horn is going to have problems.

Michael Bradley says:

OLB Reggie Northrup, First Coast High (Jacksonville)

Holds Miami Offer

SailorCane says:

Nice write up, thanks JSQ;

Next week I get to see it in person!

40. Grouting floors on a Sunday morning PISSES ME OFF.

41. Issue is, Aldarius is apparently being a pissy little bitch who doesn’t like not playing but doesn’t like earning his own playing time.

No room for slow ass trash like that — ESPECIALLY slow ass trash that didn’t even catch a touchdown pass during the entire 2010 season and was outshined by WHO? Oh.. Laron Byrd. His lone touchdown in 2009? LOL AGAINST WAKE FOREST.

Captain Clutch indeed.

We’ll leave it at that.

42. Go Canes!

43. And unlike Aldarius — Davon stays injured and thus off the field.

No telling what he could contribute if he was healthy.

44. Six, I was talking about the grease ball in the glasses you were talking about with the nose ring

Watched all the videos from the scrimmage and have to say the shot of Mary definitely “not” trying to catch the eye of a certain head coach who will remain nameless was an absolute classic!!!!!!!

Always adorable our smart and beautiful ring leader….

46. Pitt @ UM circa 2000 on ESPN Classic

47. How many touchdowns did laron bird have this year, the wake forest game was last year!

48. Yeah, that ball that Dorsey threw to Wayne a few minutes ago….

J12 has never thrown a ball that hard. And that is most definitely an insult.

49. Canez1 – def. Tron is the sh*t .. went and bought it as soon as it came out on DVD

Love the old references they have in that movie – from the old Tron game in the arcade, to the PK Ripper bike that the kid rides off on (used to always want either a PK Ripper or a Mongoose when I was a kid), to using 2 of the original Tron movie characters in the new one (obv. Jeff Bridges and also Bruce Boxleitner who was Tron in the original), to also having one of the original light bikes

Badass

Helps as well to have those hot ass chicks in it, Olivia Wilde and the chicks dressed up all in white in the beginning with the skin tight cat suits on

As for that blonde chick in the video with Golden, she def. looked like she was pulling a Lewinsky, right there in front of everyone, getting up off her knees and wiping her mouth hahahaha

50. shwarma5 – ah man, na, I didn’t notice the nose ring in that greasy guy .. I was partially blinded by the sun reflecting off the Exxon Valdez accident that happened in his hair

And then the blonde popped up off her knees in the video

moneycane says:

Hurri I see you are a BDZ fan. And I know Dorsey was a great QB, but his arm was one of the weakest around. He tossed up a lot of dying quails, but at least he tossed them up to the right team.

52. Six
    April 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

And then the blonde popped up off her knees in the video
    <<<<<<<<<

LOL!

53. Uneven Gator offense limps out of spring finale
    Posted by John Taylor on April 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT

While three former Florida Heisman-winning quarterbacks had their statues unveiled Saturday during halftime of the annual Orange and Blue Debut, all 53,000 sets of eyes in attendance were on the current state of the position under new offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

Based on the early returns, it’s a good thing the season opener is still five months away.

John Brantley, the incumbent at the position who drew the ire of fans for his uneven — to be kind — play in 2010 and had strongly considered a transfer after Urban Meyer retired, struggled in the only half he played this afternoon, completing just four of his 14 attempts for a meager 45 yards. In fairness, the other quarterbacks didn’t fare a whole heckuva lot better during the 10-6 Blue squad win, with Tyler Murphy going 7-for-11 for 68 yards and a touchdown and touted early enrollee Jeff Driskel just 2-of-6 for 13 yards in what was admittedly a very vanilla version of Weis’ offense. For those toking and hoping for a change in the QB pecking order based on what transpired today, though, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

Said it last season. The 2011 Gators will suck. They are following the same exact pattern the two previous dynasties, UM and USC have.

They now have a team full of guys who think they’ll win just because they put on the jersey.

55. Laron had more than Aldarius, and he had one. LOL. More yards, more catches too.. Hm…

56. Money,

Dorsey’s arm was certainly flaccid. I ain’t debating that. But his ducks at least flew. Some of Jacory’s are still wading around in the pond, somewheres…..
    I don’t care if Jacory can’t heave it 70 yards down there. That trait isn’t all that relative in the big picture of successful QB’ing. But #12 has a slow release, AND doesn’t throw hard enough, often enough. Dorsey didn’t rainbow it from 30 yards, like Harris does. That’s why Moss, Wayne, AJ, Scoe’, Shock, K2, and Beard all got to run after the catch. Jacory likely can’t start suddenly throwing further, but shortening your release, and using more arm torque, can be taught/developed.

And yeah, I watched Dragonball all through High School. One of my jumps I used to check out after school, couldn’t STAND it.

moneycane says:

Hurri I agree. If Jacory wins the job hopefully they can fix the problem of him floating it out there.

Yeah DBZ certainly isn’t a chick show. I used to watch it in HS too. We seem to be around the same age, when did you graduate HS. I’m c/o 2000

58. Jacory can launch a ball..

Epps @ USF… Benjamin with Clemson in 2009.. Hitting Hank in stride Clemson 2010..

He can put it where it needs to be. Depends on how he fires it though.

moneycane says:

Bennie that the frustrating aspect about Jacory. He does things that are inexplicable at times and thinks that he is playing with a beach ball instead of a football.

60. Yeah Money,

I’m 2G, as well. Shoulda been 99 but I got “displaced” as a youngster, and had a period where I wasn’t in school.
    Sept 9, 1981.

Bennie. It’s like I said…..

Distance doesn’t really matter in the biggest of pictures. It’s velocity, and release time that would do Jacory WORLDS of good. The stick throw he made to DJ during his drive against UVA as a Fresh’……If he could make em all like that, then we’d be on to something.

BoriCane says:

Aside from his mechanics, JH has to grow mentally and become a true leader where he takes his position seriously. He needs to inspire and demand performance from the offense. I just don’t see his personality doing that, he is too “funny”.

62. not bad – canes get another baseball sweep

63. Calvin, the thing with Johnson is he’s the reason he’s not playing and has people questioning him. Needs to be in shape and hitting the weight room hard. He wouldn’t be hurt as much if he was in shape. He wouldn’t be as slow. Would be quicker. Would be stronger.

i ain’t going to sing Byrd’s praises either though. He’s been the same since he’s gotten here. big, clock watch fast, good at curls and ins. doesn’t win jump balls nearly as much as you’d hope for a guy his size. doesn’t get much YAC. never gets separation deep.

64. If my uncle had tits and a vag he would be my aunt.

It is what it is.

65. If your uncle had tits and a vag I’d be seriously concerned you were from Alabama.

Or West Virginia. Either or.

One huge thing that would help Jacory is him becoming a little more confident in the pocket. Yea, it’s been done to death. He has been sacked 40+ times in his tenure here. Sack Dorsey that many times, sack the holy one from Florida that many times and see what tune they’re whistling. And that’s just sacks, that’s not hits after the throw and things of that nature.

He often throws off his back foot and with a noodle for an arm and quick (and often bad) decision making because of pressure.. well.. you get #12, circa 2008/2011.

66. Kiddo throws off his back foot even when there isn’t any serious pressure. Tale-tell signs of shell-shock.

67. J12 was doing that the first scrimmage as well. Even on the short dump passes. Wonder if he has done it so often it has become constant.

68. Bennie says:
    April 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM

That ain’t saying much when you consider how many plays laron played this year vs what aldarius got. I can go on and on about the games where you didn’t even know laron was on the field, at least with aldarius, when he’s in the game, he gets open. While a lot of people keep saying he dropped that touchdown against osu, lol, i can’t put that on him, it was a hell of a route, and the ball needed to be there a little quicker, i don’t care who you are, if a db is hitting you thru your arms at the same time the ball is getting there, 9 times out of 10, hell maybe even 10 times out of 10, nobody is catching that ball.

The point is, aldarius got open, as slow as alot of yall keep saying he is, he gets dwon field and creates separation, where was laron byrd against osu. aldarius also got behind chewiki ojwad whatever that bd’s name was for osu who snatched the ball from benjamin.

I’d rather have aldarius out there a whole game than byrd. esteban is right though about the in shape thing, like forston, aldarius needs to just work on his diet this summer, and lose that tire, 5 to 8 pounds less and aldarius will be hard to cover.

69. As far as j12 goes, he lost confidence in the pocket after he tore his thumb up following thru on a pass, so he throws off of his back foot to protect his hand. If you noticed, jacory start throwing off of his back foot after that injury to protect it while it was injured to get thru the season. Now that he has one of the most talented o-lines in front of him since he’s been here, the more he gains confidence in that o-line the more he’ll start to step into his throws. He’ll have to get back to that from a mental standpoint, he just regressed mechnaically because of that injury.

rejuvaphan says:

This is from this scout Ohio State blog called Hineygate:

Airbornbuckeye
    [Scout Subscriber]
    All-American
    2546 posts this site
    Send Private Message

Posted: Today 8:22 PM
    RE: Record in First 5 games?
    You guys make it sound like our first five games are in the SEC or something. Our talent is still way above any of those teams, I expect a couple of them to be close but I see no reason we don’t win all of them.

These “Taints” really think they have more talent than us, and will be coming into Miami and beat us.

71. Back from the funeral and I still see the J12 flames. Ha! You guys will understand one day. Just remember…

HATE MOTIVEATES! Ha!

72. IF #17 was so much > J12 then why are we seeing SO MANY excuses for why MORRIS isn’t the guy YET??? You guys try and make J12 chopped liver and he is not. Hate on haterz and hate is the best form of motivation. The throngs of J12 haters are giving him life and he’s gaining more and more of confidence back. That’s not a good thing, that’s a GREAT thing. BUT I guess you guys will continue to write it off as a song and dance or perhaps UPGRADE it to a JEDI MIND TRICK. I say it is what it is, no matter if its a slight lead or a major lead, it’s still a LEAD (you know just like winning by 1 or 100 its still a W) and J12 is proving the naysayers WRONG!

73. woooooooow. D:

74. Maybe Byrd got all that playing time ’cause Shannon thought he was better than one of the kids he sold his soul to that came out of Northwestern..??

75. Bennie says:
    April 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM

The only thing laron does better is work harder than a lot of guys. In game, laron dissappears to much, bennie, if you seriously believe laron is better than aldarius, make sure you’re never on the scout/recruiting circuit for UM, for anybody else, be their their guest!

bg, you really just want to say I told ya so….

77. Welcome back bg, the j12 “excuse bitten” vampires are at it again. As long as j12 stays aggressive and does his thing out there i’m straight with that.

78. As far as I can tell you’re just a fanboy, Calvin. You find the nuts of some self proclaimed stud who flourished in highschool and had a half decent first year of football and then call him the best receiver on the team.

For God’s sakes he wasn’t even listed as first string at ANY point of this season — even in lifting. Granted the depth chart is GARBAGE as of now — but you know who else hasn’t been mentioned so far this year?

The GARBAGE on this team.

I see now why Shwarma said what he said earlier..

I’m gonna’ go ahead and disengage. It’s easy to see how NO one can see things the way you see them.

79. Bennie says:
    April 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    ////////////////////////////

1st off, i didn’t say aldarius was the best receiver on the team, that would be you, saying i said that. What i did say, besides travis benjamin, what other receiver on the team has made more big plays that aldarius, that was the question.

I don’t need you to see things the way i see them, what you and others need to do is see the facts, who brought highschool, you did. Yall speak down on guys who’ve already proven themselves at the college level already, and like shannon and the players have been saying since last year, consistency is the key. That’s what streeter is talking about now, i haven’t seen him use the word consistency yet, but in his talk that’s basically what he’s referring to these days.

The one thing i like about what golden said that impressed me yesterday about him as a coach, he was able to identify, and this is the one part i knew would hurt shannon as well, because shannon was a believer in how you practice is how you are going to play, and anybody who’s been around sports know, everybody is not a good practice player, but like golden identified, when the lights come on, futch plays at another level, some players are better in game situations than they’ll ever be in practice. In practice, your instincts are not always allowed to take over because the coaches are always harping on the little things, but come game time, it’s a whole nother ball game.

Having a headcoach who can identify that aspect of coaching is very important. Alot of guys got buried by shannon because if he couldn’t trust them in practice, he wasn’t going to trust them in a game. I think letting arthur brown go in live more would have done him a whole lot of good as oppose to just letting him try and learn from the sidelines. Some people are good test takers and some people are better apllying knowledge!

I’ll admit, I’m probably Brydman’s biggest fan. Yes hes underachieved some, but not as much as Slo Mo #4.

Last Season Stats…

LaRon Byrd 41 catches 441 yards 10.8avg 40long 1 TD’s
    Aldarius Johnson 15catches 157 yards 10.5avg 17long 0 TD’s

With a decent QB Byrd would have had 800 yds receiving. I watched him run WIDE open all season but our QBs only locked in on Hank.

Byrdman will emerge this season, hopefully its the right QB throwing him the ball..

Michael Bradley says:

Trinity Christian Academy S Nick Washington.

Spoke with him today in Jacksonville. Nice looking prospect, Class of 2013, definitely will be a safety. Ran a 4.56 today.

Good coverage skills for a safety. Has room to grow. He could grow into a really fierce and feared FS if he stays in the 4.5’s.

85. PlayaCane aka Rashad says:
    April 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Last Season Stats…

LaRon Byrd 41 catches 441 yards 10.8avg 40long 1 TD’s
    Aldarius Johnson 15catches 157 yards 10.5avg 17long 0 TD’s

pb(EOTHROH11) says
    April 10, 2011 at 10:52 PM

——

Thankyerrrrrr.

86. shwarma5 says:
    April 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    bg, you really just want to say I told ya so….

Actually I don’t! What I DO WANT to see is for guys to stop hating on the kid and figuring out new ways to make excuses about why he is holding on the job. Maybe he’s improving and just doing the right things. How about we stop cutting our own down (in the manner that happens far too often when guys don’t perform the way Miami thinks they should) and try standing behind our own because they are OURS. That is what I want. I could care less about the I told you so, just stand behind the kid and stop tearing him down.

87. Ten yards a pop aint nothing to write home about. Byrd and Johnson are career 10 yard guys so far. That’s pretty weak in a pro style attack. Them TE numbers.

88. QBs locked in on Hank because they could TRUST Hank. The stats for Byrd and Aldarius are skewed because Aldarius was injured at times and didn’t get the run Byrd got. However, I think full package wise Byrd is better, BUT Aldarius as Calvin has said has more big plays in his career that Byrd. Byrd is a solid possession WR type. He’s done NOTHING spectacular since he’s been at UM. He’s just a good solid guy. Aldarius runs great routes and if as Esteban says he would only put in the time required he could be a very good possession guy too, but he’s his own biggest enemy.

89. PlayaCane aka Rashad says:
    April 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    Last Season Stats…

LaRon Byrd 41 catches 441 yards 10.8avg 40long 1 TD’s
    Aldarius Johnson 15catches 157 yards 10.5avg 17long 0 TD’s
    /////////////////////////////////////////

Good stats, i’m glad these were brought, i take it was brought up to show some type of gap been productivity, bg, just told you about the injury situation, and esteban just brought up the 10 yards per catch, the question i have for the bryd fans, out of them 41 catches laron had, how many do you remember!

Captain Optimist aka Cavaleer says:

bg1906
    April 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    April 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    bg, you really just want to say I told ya so….

>>>>>>>>>>>>

He’s looking good, Morris is still learning, but most importantly JEDD FISCH KNOWS HOW TO COACH.

That TD pass to Walford was a beautiful playcall- isolated our TE on a safety with no help, easy pass for J12, great confidence booster for Walford, as Cal pointed out.

Caught up the reading from the last few- Hurri, JSQ and Este laid me out. Este with his 12-pack abs…JSQ telling the truth about why chicks get dolled up…and Hurri always self-efFacing as ever. lol

Shouts to the usual suspects of course….

Teams coming together. Great to see Streeter emerging, with more muscle.

Like we all know, this team has plenty of talent, the question is can these coaches mold them into a unit quickly enough. Looking good so far.

Captain Optimist aka Cavaleer says:

BG, I think Byrd is more than a possession WR BUT he HAS to show something this year other than PO-tential. He’s had a few plays here and there but disappeared. The question is whether he disappeared because he couldn’t get open or because the playcalling and QB were suction, as Hurri calls it.

PB claims he was open but a shell-shocked J12 only had eyes for Hank.

AJ otoh, might be done. We’ll see.

moneycane says:

bg1906
    April 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Agree with this 1,000%. Even if they are 100% dumpster juice, they are my dumpster juice and I will always hold out hope for them to improve. Even Kirby Freeman was able to get out of his own way for a game against FSU.

93. what Byrd and Johnson (when he’s healthy) do is necessary. but i think the heaving lifting this year looks like its going to be on Benjamin and Streeter. those two make the team dangerous. just need to figure out who’s going to be in the slot – i wouldn’t mind Benjamin getting some slot time. and need to find out which TE ends up with the most reps. a stronger Chase Ford is big, Blake Ayles is a good combo of size and athleticism, Clive Walford got big time athleticism and is just starting to learn how to actually play TE, and then you got Asante Cleveland who showed last year he might be a star one day. We could go two TE a lot and they take the 10 yard a pop role and Byrd and Johnson will need to bring more or play less. Plus you got RBs going to catch the ball more so the possession WR isn’t as necessary.

94. and glad to hear Futch is doing it big. i was big on Futch until it was apparent he wasn’t putting in the work. Glad he finally is. He’s aggressive and comes down hill fast. Should be fun to watch.

Anybody heard any follow-up on Forston’s injury? It’s been at least a week or longer. Worried this kid might have something serious.

Also hoping the Byrd injur is not too serious. I was hoping with some good wr coaching he would finally put it all together this year.

96. Byrd will be fine.
    Per Golden on J. Rose this morning.

Could practice this week.

Thanks.

98. I think Forston will be ready to go come fall practice from reports.

Up in the air I guess depending on how he reacts to treatment.

He is a MUST have come the fall.

99. Canez1, have they mentioned Jacory’s thumb? Is it still injured? Or his ankle?

100. Este I haven’t heard anything as far as that goes.

I think Morris had the ankle injury that just healed up recently.

101. Canez1, man you gave a serious answer. What’s up with that?

102. i soft tossed it to you. was supposed to hit it to the upper deck.

103. Someone has lost his mojo . . .

104. LMFAO!!!! You know me too well!

When I get serious questions, I give serious answers.

I’m serious like that LOL.

When I get ridiculous questions and opinions thats when the fun starts and there are plenty of LULZ from this group no doubt about it.

I was about to put my boy BG on blast for his continual shiz but it’s just not interesting anymore.

Cal is also on my “To Blast” list.

I don’t forget ANYTHING MFers.

Wish I did sometimes.

105. i’m ready to watch the spring game.

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. — Two Florida basketball players were arrested early Sunday and charged with felony burglary for allegedly breaking into a car.

Erik Murphy and Cody Larson were booked at the St. Johns County Jail around 4 a.m. They were released after each posted a $5,000 bond.
    Courtesy of ESPN-
    A third man, team manager Joshua Adel, was charged with principal to burglary. St. Augustine police said he acted as a lookout.

Officers said the 20-year-old Murphy and 19-year-old Larson went into a restaurant/bar around 2 a.m., claimed to have lost a wallet and apparently tried to get close to an employee counting money. According to police, bouncers told the players to leave, then witnessed them breaking into a co-worker’s car across the street. The victim didn’t notice any items missing from his car, police said.

After scrolling thru some comments, I think its pretty bad that after 3 seasons at qb, we can count on one hand, the times J12 actually threw the ball with force.

108. Esteban says:
    April 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I’d bet on a combo of Thompkins and Dorsett in the slot. Also Hurns may see some time in there as well.

109. Wait!!!

So you are saying that other football players around the country get arrested these days????

Not just UM kids are “Bad apples”???

HMMMMMM interesting.

110. Rashad there are so many fails it is hard to count them all these days.

It will all turn around in a few months. No worries.

SMH

111. bg, i don’t see Dorsett getting much run this year. Thompkins, still not sure what to expect when the season comes. You hear how tough he is to cover, but then don’t hear anything about him from practices or scrimmages from coaches.

The Truth says:

Byrd was the second option on most plays

That second option usually doing jumping jacks 20 yards down the field wide open waiting….waiting…waiting….waiting for that all star QB to look at him

Didn’t happen much

like, specifically at USF when Whip ran the same play two plays in a row and Laron was WIDE THE F@CK OPEN IN THE ENDZONE 25 yards down the field and the all star skimmer throught it incomplete BOTH times because he NEVER LOOKED TO HIS RIGHT

the thing about that is you damn well Whip, calliing it the send time said” LOOK TO THE RIGHT”

I saw it…KL saw it…Sailor saw it…the rest of that side of the stadium saw it…but the QB couldn’t see it…

the little old lady behind me cussing me out CLEARLY didn’t see it because she must have been with Jaskimmy during the late night checking over the playbook before gong to bed

That would be reason NUMERO UNO as to why Byrd didn’t get more action stat wise during the season…

Im not slammin Japicky here…just saying that as well as he has done this sporing (and looked pretty good in the scrimmage) until I see him make those plays with live bullets I’ll continue to have my reservations

For me it wasn’t the INT’s as much as it was missing the WIDEOPEN guys EACH AND EVERY play

Comparing Morris to Japicky is still obsurd given Japicky’s experience to 17. The fact that there is any competition at all is an indictment on Jadizzy…not Morris

113. C1.

If you blast me you have to blast Coach Fisch because he said everything I’ve been saying.

114. Sorry Este.

Dorsett is going to get some burn. Believe that bro!

The Truth says:

It just hit me

The little old lady at the USF game is Caveleer

I should’ve known….

116. ^^^^^^^

This!

117. Also here is my SHOCKER comment of the day. I don’t believe Morris IS the future here. Golden has HIS guy coming in next year and that will be Tate Forcier. Bank on it, Morris will get Derrick Crudup’ed! You’ll see.

118. BG I’m good with that!! No favorites here.

😉

bg I don’t find that comment shocking at all. To me if Morris hasn’t clearly won the job by this point and his only competition is an INT machine with shattered confidence, then he is obviously not the solution.

The Truth says:

I don’t know about that BG

You may be right that Morris isn’t the guy, but it won’t be because of anyone hand picked…not with this staff…For the first time since Butch there is a real, honest emphasis on the hardest worker, guy that wants it most – best guy for the spot.

121. Truth.

Morris missed guys too! Also threw per capita just as many picks at a slightly higher clip than J12. As I put up last week.

J12 1 INT every 18 attempts
    SM17 1 INT every 17 attempts

So while you guys are jumping on the Morris bandwagon because you want to see something different and because he played well a couple of games, and physically should be better, remember experience DOES count and also remember you ALL were on the J12 bandwagon at one time. Yes the INTs are a problem and YES they make us ALL VERY ANGRY, but I refuse to give up on this kid when he could have (and i will continue to disagree with Six here) clearly given up on himself and left Miami and he didn’t. Not only that he’s BATTLING and WINNING the QB battle so far weaker arm and all. In college those things don’t mean as much (physical tools) the biggest thing in college is decision making (which apparently Jedd Fisch is doing a better job than Whipple was at this time) and leadership (and having a good leader goes a LONG way in REARING a good leader). So with a leader like Golden to follow who BREEDS leadership on his team you starting to see MANY leaders emerge and develop. These kids ALWAYS had it in them, just Randy’s personality was not the personality to coach a fully RIGHT Miami team. I believe Golden and D’Onofrio have IT when it comes to having the MIAMI mentality that we all hoped Randy would bring being a former Cane.

The Truth says:

…but this year I see J12 getting the spot because morris hasn’t separated himself enough and j12 is a the sr with the most experience…

…but unlike past seasons the yank will be quick

The Truth says:

Yes bg, you are correct Norris missed guys too.

Morris 1st year starting any games

Japicky 3rd you starting Junior

Shouldn’t be any competition there…but there is

124. BG we have all heard the coach speak.

I don’t believe a thing these mofo’s say anymore regarding this situation because it is a tough one due to depth at the most important position on the field. They are backed up into a corner here.

Jac Jac is having a good spring BUT he ALWAYS has a good spring.

We ALL know the end result once the lights go on.

Same ol same ol son.

Ignore #47, TE ,RB and float wounded duck into triple coverage on one. Ignore #47, TE, RB and float wounded duck into triple coverage on one.

Ready….Break!

Sounds about right.

125. too early to write off Morris. He’s 3 months into a new play book. he’s 18/19 dealing with an injury and new throwing motion. i think he can be given some time to make the transition.

and bg…after i saw all those drops in the state title game i stopped thinking he’ll be ready this year. rather he just redshirts anyway. Grooms should be the one working the slot of the new guys.

The Truth says:

And you know me better than wanting to just “see something different”

I was Jacory’s biggest fan…I believed in that kid and I called him “special” on many occasions…

That was until I knew about the things he WASN’T doing that started to hurt the team ON THE FIELD

I don’t care so much about how much Morris has separated himself as much as I do about Jacory acting like the starting QB for The Univeristy of Miami Hurricanes

Morris does…Jaskimmy? Not so much

And it’s clear ON THE FIELD.

You expect a frosh to miss open guys…your 3rd year starting Jr, not so much…and then when he comes out and admits to being too comfortable and “skimming the playbook before going to bed” it becomes real clear as to why he is even in competition with such a young player like Morris

127. The Truth says:
    April 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I don’t know about that BG

I believe that 1oo%, BUT I also believe Forcier will be just that for the same reasons as Jacory, he’s getting a second chance and he’s going to capitalize on it. Also I like Forcier at Michigan and think he can come here and do some good things. Just my opinion but I think Forcier will be the guy IMO.

The Truth says:

What Canez1 said…

ready…BREAK!

129. Jacory didn’t play last spring cause the thumb.

Alright, I’ll jump in on the J12 v SM17 convo since I feel compelled to after watching the scrimmage with Truth in my ear. For those who are able, listen to coach Golden on wqam with the Big Dog this morning. He was saying EXACTLY the same things Truth has been eluding to on the blog and telling me on Saturday.

Here is a very revealing excerpt from the interview:

“Jacory’s gotta continue to understand and appreciate the process. Get in the film room. We gotta keep exposing him to great quarterbacks. There’s never been a great quarterback that didn’t love the process everyday… that didn’t love the preparation… that didn’t love the film room… and we just gotta keep exposing him to that. Stephen’s doing a great job with his preparation right now.”

If J12 continues his “Jaskimmy” ways he WILL NOT be the starter. Period. I think the coaching staff is giving him a chance to get his head out of his a**. It remains to be seen if he can change his ways.

131. new blog up

132. The Truth says:
    April 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM

…but unlike past seasons the yank will be quick

^^^THIS^^^

I never have said J12 is the SAVIOR, I just said he’ll be the guy come first game. Will he FINISH as THE GUY, we all have to see what happens when we go live, but I think you bank on him in the beginning and his play will decide his fate. But when he’s on J12 is a good college QB and you can dispute and be mad at that all you want, but no one complained in 08 and early 09.

133. Este.

Grooms going to defense. You can almost count on it.

134. T is absolutely right.

The elephant in the room is you are still comparing a TRUE freshman with almost no reps with the first team, which leads to a lack of timing and familiarity breeding mistakes, and scheduled for a redshirt to a JR with a TON of “experience” and who should have the timing and familiarity down pat.

It’s really silly when the comparison is brought up. Just be objective for a sec and take a step back.

Granted it is the only thing we have to compare at this point because of piss poor recruiting of the position as well as management of players but thats a different story.

Harris not running away with this competition is a HUGE issue and def not an indictment of what Morris is bringing to the table.

We are FUKED if Jacass starts and plays this season.

I have no doubt in my mind.

See ND game for most recent comparisons.

Not even close!

OOOOOOOOR base decisions on a non contact white jersey and throwing balls against your buddys.

Turtle….

Having a good spring is better than having a bad spring. That’s about it.

Show me the money when it counts.

Didn’t Brantley have awesome springs the last couple of years? Look it up. Now they’re ready to run him out of turdville.

” the yank will be quick”

That will be the difference with this staff. I really do think it will be run as a meritocracy.

BTW, new rumors about SH to U of Minn. Hate to repeat because it probably is just BS, but anybody else have anything on this?