Hoops Update

Women’s:

Yesterday the Lady ‘Canes (24-3, 13-1 ACC) reached the highest ranking in the 36 year history of the Women’s Basketball program:  #5 in the AP Top 25 Poll.  This jump comes after Duke’s loss 63-61 loss to Maryland and Miami’s first-ever win at NC State and third consecutive victory over FSWho. Duke is now down to No. 7 while Maryland  – a team that Canes swept in a season series – took Miami’s place as the No. 6 team in the country.

The  Lady ‘Canes head to Durham on Friday to face Duke in a game that will most likely decide the regular season champion and the ACC Tournament’s No. 1 seed. Tip-off will be at 7 p.m.

A big congratulations to the Lady ‘Canes from all of us at Eye of the Hurricane!

Men’s:

After an elating win against Duke in Durham on Super Bowl Sunday and a couple of heartbreaking losses against FSWho and UNC, Men’s Basketball (16-9, 7-5 ACC) desperately needed a win to save this season.  A win they earned this past weekend, over ACC opponent Wake Forest.

The Hurricanes started off the second half strong scoring 13 unanswered points during a 4:29 span, giving Miami a 56-42 advantage. Kenny Kadji and Durand Scott scored 18 points each to lead Miami to a 74-56 victory.

The ‘Canes take on Maryland 15-11 (5-7) tonight at 8pm in College Park.  You can tune in to see the game on Raycom affiliates, The ACC Network, ESPN Full Court, or on ESPN3.

161 Comments

Hassan

1st

Hassan

February 21, 2012

Big Reg is dragging that stump he calls a right leg out there, he needs more Knife

February 21, 2012

Nice first, Hassan! Orange or green?

Esteban

February 21, 2012

3XCanes, I’d say more than half of my opinion is based on the eye ball test. Saw him on the sideline next to DZP and he was looking short in comparison. And that’s short compared to our other shortest LB. Then just see the body and its really round. I don’t blame him for looking lost when he did play cause he’s a true freshman and its a b.s. system so far, but just for me…if a guy is undersized I’d he’s really quick or fast. He’s not. He’ll mix it up and that’s never to be under valued, but I don’t want that as the guy’s #1 positive attribute either.

CanesCanesCanes

February 21, 2012

Thanks Este – I just don’t remember that much about him from last year other than maybe the first game and later a couple of tackles on SP

February 21, 2012

These kids and these signing day ceremonies. Davonte Neal no shows because he and Dad are at odds over where he wants to attend. PARENT it is good for you to lend support and even your opinion BUT remember its the CHILD’S choice. Not YOURS. Not where YOU would go or where YOU want him to be but VICE VERSA. He’s earning the ‘ship, he has to work out, go to class, play, etc, etc.

autumn

good article

go canes

Sh!tHead McGillicutty

February 21, 2012

A common mistake we make as parents….including myself, at times….is thinking that our kids are us, reincarnated.

No matter how much they look like you, have momma’s eyes, and your smile, and how they grit their teeth in their sleep, just like your grandmom did, they are their own separate entity. We gotta keep that in mind while we taper them to form.

KLCaneFan

February 21, 2012

Sailor, MiniKl & I attended the Lady Canes game vs FSU after catching a few innings of Canes baseball on Sunday.

All I can say is Coach Katie Meier is a bada**.

The Lady Canes are having such an amazing run… the FSU game was their 39th home win as well as Meier’s 200th win as a coach. It’s a shame they can’t get more people to attend games because the team is incredible to watch and two of their most amazing players won’t be around next year.

Anyway, we’ll be at the men’s basketball game on Sunday… hopefully they too can beat the Noles. 🙂

But for tonight: go Canes, beat the Terps!

BoriCane

KLCaneFan
    February 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

All I can say is Coach Katie Meier is a bada**.

But for tonight: go Canes, beat the Terps!
    ———————————————————————————————-

Of all UM coaches, Katie Meier IS Coach of the Year by far!!

27-3???? Wow!!

Is all about the W’s

BoriCane

BTW, great write up JSQ!

Thanks Bori!

I can use the compliments right now.

Just got yelled at by a crotchety old b!sh deponent for 20 minutes.

I can’t wait until I am eleventy hundred years old and not even know how many properties I bought or for how much or who I sued or why I sued them but instead, feel confident in yelling at the beautiful witty young stylish and humble lady deposing me.

Skank.

February 21, 2012

You know you a balla when the opposing bench gets hype about a move made, see the 6:11/12 mark where wade went baseline, don’t even watch wade after the 1st time, just look at the bench, 🙂

BoriCane

BoriCane

February 21, 2012

Bori, Allen is represented by my friend and fellow double ‘Cane, Devang.

I hope this story calms some people down.

Six

February 21, 2012

Delray – kid is a nice player but on a real crap team … and when I say crap, I mean opposing teams dropped 48 pts., 61 pts., 45 pts. and 70 pts. on them. Nelson Agholor ran for almost 170 yards on only 8 or 9 carries against them and Berk Prep smoked them 45-0

SPCatholic didn’t win a game in their District .. only won 2 games all year .. scored the least amount of points within their District and gave up the most points within their District by 229 points. So, it’s not like they were putting up a lot of points and just being plain outscored Area Football League style – they couldn’t even put up a lot of points in the first place

Kid is the bigger fish in the smaller pond and gets keyed on primarily by opposing teams b/c the rest of his team is honestly anti-good .. and is going to be probably worse this year

You remember in Tecmo Bowl when you’d call the right defensive play and as soon as the ball was hiked it was like the entire team, including every player on the bench, for the other team was on top of your QB within .5 seconds? That’s what it looked like a lot this year when a lot of teams played SPCatholic

Would like to see Green transfer to another school, like Jesuit or Plant or even Berk Prep, so the kid can have a little bit more support and room to move – then again, kid is resilient in going out there onto the field like he is when he knows the team around him is the Washington Generals

February 21, 2012

I still got the tecmo bowl title!

Six

February 21, 2012

JSQ – you know it absolutely will not

You basically held how many people in your arms (not literally) while swaying them back and forth, singing a lullaby and petting them on the head while rubbing them on their bellies/arms and telling them how the boogey monster isn’t coming for the Canes to eat them alive (but to instead maybe say BOO and then go away)

but they still refused to believe

Lol, Six.

So true.

Time will tell!

SpeedWrecks

Six

February 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Finally – Land O’Lakes found guilty of illegal recruiting and has to forfeit 44 games .. 23 of them in football

Remember when I was saying the Canes should stay the hell away from Stevie Weatherford? Would’ve been real nice to get Kent Taylor from there – kid reminds me of Greg Olsen in so many ways it’s scary … but generally, stay away from that school

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weatherford redshirted then also made it out at Cincy, and did transfer from there. But, it was more of a matter of not being good enough as Cincy is sitting on 7 QBs with two more coming in.

SpeedWrecks

February 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Bori, Allen is represented by my friend and fellow double ‘Cane, Devang.

I hope this story calms some people down.

~~~~~~~~

.So, UM missed out on that big bowl game that this team would have surely won anyway 😐 but didn’t miss out on recruiting a great load in Jan & Dec for the future0

… as I had told many others, UM is good. Sis works for gov’t attny office & UM Alumnae, and always said that Nevis transgression was taking money from the likes of College Presidents and retirees, not tossing some twenties entertaining and jock-sniffing teenage ballas, and even entertainment was something that mostly went to his own gambling addiction. (Guy is pure trash.) The gov’t FBI agent in American Greed pretty much supported where the focus is: Shapiro’s tremendous greed, swindling, corruption, and to a lesser degree, maniacal tendencies.

WE are The []_[]

Nashvillecane

PlayaCane aka Rashad

February 22, 2012

Highsmith said, “I’m all for kids coming out if they can make money. But to be a sixth- or seventh-round pick, I don’t understand it. Some guys don’t want to work and think pro football is easy. You’ve got to be tough to play for Al Golden. If you’re not willing to put in the time, the easy way out is to leave. But do you know how hard it is to make an NFL team?”

One current player said besides financial incentive, some players simply didn’t want to go through Golden’s offseason conditioning program again. But UM was puzzled that all the underclassmen turned pro before getting their assessment back from the NFL’s draft review board.

### Highsmith likes senior Sean Spence, who could go in the second or third round. Among some other seniors, Kiper sees Travis Benjamin as a fifth-rounder but says Jacory Harris will go undrafted. Mayock expects Micanor Regis, who won’t be at the Combine, will be a mid-to-late round pick…. UM’s eight players in Indy: Miller, Spence, Washington, Vernon, Benjamin, Forston, Harris and Streeter.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

autumn

EJ Manuel led FSU to bowl win — on a broken leg
    Posted by John Taylor on February 21, 2012, 6:24 PM EST

Unbeknownst to anyone we’re aware of outside of the Florida State football program, EJ Manuel played in the Seminoles’ bowl win over Notre Dame with a rather significant injury.

A press release with the subject line of “Florida State Offseason Injury Update” — and buried in the third paragraph of the email, no less — contained the following note:

Quarterback EJ Manuel sustained a fractured fibula in his left leg in the Champs Sports Bowl win over Notre Dame, but has healed nicely making him available for spring practice.

And that was the extent of FSU addressing the previously unknown issue.

Suffice to say, the news of Manuel playing at least part of the game with a broken leg — it’s unclear exactly when the injury occurred, although it’s believed to have happened in the first half — caught those who cover the football program on a daily basis a wee bit offguard. “After game, there was no sign his leg was badly hurt. He was his same calm, easy-going self. Seemed to have usual post-game bumps,” Coley Harvey of the Orlando Sentinel wrote on Twitter.

While Manuel will be fine for the spring, several of his teammates won’t. Offensive linemen Jacob Fahrenkrug (left shoulder), Garrett Faircloth (hip) and Daniel Foose (lower back), defensive tackle Jacobbi McDaniel (ankle) and defensive end Bjoern Werner (right shoulder) will not be available due to offseason surgery.

Uchamps

February 22, 2012

Este, you can’t be serious, my dude! That’s an easy bet. Edsall will not have a winning season at Merryland. Call me Negrodamus because i’m laying down the prophecy right NOW! LOL

————–

23 scholarship players(a lot with eligibility) leaving is not a “clean house” it’s a foster house because he lost the entire team and he’s about to lose the entire University being a psycho douchebag!!

Uchamps

Nashvillecane
    February 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

February 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    ROFL, nash

^^^^^^^^^^^

AHHHHHHHHH

Lil dude had ENUFF!!!

Rofl

—————–

What’s funny is, the fact that the little dude is the actual bully. They tried to pin bully title to the bigger kid because hes big. lmao

February 22, 2012

Kid looks like Mclovin with a bowl cut.

Nashvillecane

February 22, 2012

Funny thing bout lil skinny dude is I work with a dude that really reminds me of him…

I guess I better leave him alone

Rofl

Bennie

February 22, 2012

FSU players on that juice.. Nick Moody (the freight train that knocked chunks out of Jeff Demps’ helmet upon collision) is up to 242 pounds.. Safety becomes LB.

Also, saw Kelvin Benjamin in person.. That kid is LARGE.

Esteban

February 22, 2012

they want to keep Benjamin at WR? He needs to see how much money some of these athletic TEs are making and make that move to TE. 2 TE systems that have two athletic TEs always give other teams problems. From NE this year, to UM back with Franks/Fulcher, to LSU when they had LeFluer/some other big athletic dude, to forever and ever. Creates tough matchups and the alignment usually makes it easier on the QB to read things.

Esteban

February 22, 2012

and i know you didn’t say they were keeping him at WR Bennie. I read that a few days some where else. Said he had gotten huge but still had the explosion to get separation at WR. I don’t think he ever had that explosion based off high school footage, but sounds like they just want to make him happy and let him keep the WR title for now.

February 22, 2012

What’s up guys and gals! Hey I know you guys haven’t seen me around much lately. Been grinding. Got a funeral this weekend as my in-law, Tom Carter (Former Notre Dame All-American and 1st Round Pick of the Redskins) lost his 14 year old daughter yesterday to a diabetic seizure (she was born with type 1 juvy diabetes). Here is an article about it: http://ashburn.patch.com/articles/lte-remembering-cameron-grieving-for-one-of-our-own

So we are all pretty distraught over that.

Also on a personal note, as many of you know, since my playing days ended, I’ve battled weight issues. I’ve maintained my strength as you can see here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2501622469750&set=t.1175345185&type=3&theater) but I need to get a grip on the weight so I’m having weight loss surgery. The procedure is the same as rapper Paul Wall and former Dallas Cowboy Nate Newton. Its called Vertical Sleeve and my surgery date is 3/27. For those interested here are 2 vids that explain the procedure: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/surgery-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-11968867 and http://www.mylapbanddallas.com/life-after-surgery/nate-newtons-weight-loss-journey/

Its NOT a lap band procedure even though that last url has lap band in it. You guys are like my family here so I’m telling you all because I ask for your prayers and support as I go through this transition of regaining my old self.

Love you all and I truly mean that. #Canesfam 4 Life!

Keep me uplifted all!

Thanks.

February 22, 2012

Wow, bg! Sending good thoughts your way! We love you!

CapeCoralCane

February 22, 2012

Good for you bg. Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member…prayers sent.

autumn

bg, take care

canes4us

February 22, 2012

BG, best of luck with the surgery sorry to hear about your families loss. Diabetes type-2 is bad enough can’t even imagine how had it is for a kid growing up with type -1.

Uchamps says:
    February 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Nashvillecane
    February 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

February 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    ROFL, nash

^^^^^^^^^^^

AHHHHHHHHH

Lil dude had ENUFF!!!

Rofl

—————–

//////////////////////////////////

Birth of a goon! That mofo was believing and putting everything he had into that word!

Nashvillecane

Big Bryce..

Sorry bout ya loss homie, and prayers go up for you and us family….

Also good luck on the weight loss plan/procedure dawg…

All the bad ish runs in my family too…high blood pressure, diabetes, heart trouble, stokes, alcoholism, weight peoblem all run in both sides of my family…and I have to work hard mentally and physically to overcome ALL OF THAT!!

Has to be an overall lifestyle…

Go hard at it my man…like u do canes recruiting!!!

Hassan

Green.

Michael Irvin had a great show today with Coach Golden and also Maycock http://www.wqam.com

February 22, 2012

2012 Schedule. Not bad at all!

@ Kansas State
    @ Notre Dame
    Bethune Cookman
    USF
    NC state
    FSU
    NC
    Va Tech
    BC
    VA
    Ga Tech
    Duke

We’ll have a young team but they should be able to be in every one of those games. No predictions on a record as it all depends on injuries and how well the new guys adjust but at least its not one of those inflated schedules we’ve been playing the last few years. Our out of conference is tough but not out of this world. ND isn’t a world beater and KSU we should’ve beaten this year. USF we did beat and we have no reason to fear them. The conference schedule is what it is but at least its spaced out. We could surprise and do much better than anticipated depending on how fast the team comes together and if we are blessed to stay healthy.

Hassan.

Mayock is keeping it 100!

February 22, 2012

Mayok said he LOVES Al Golden and he believes in him and the way he coaches.

shwarma5

February 22, 2012

bg – Sorry to hear about your loss bro, and good luck with everything

shwarma5

February 22, 2012

Is NC at home this year? That is a nice stretch of home football if so…

Two roadies to start will be interesting. Always wish you had the cupcake first, but trial by fire

shwarma5

February 22, 2012

Anyone hearing anything about a new P/K?

CanesCanesCanes

February 22, 2012

bg – sorry about your loss. Prayers to you and your family.

Also, I have a friend from work that had a similar procedure and it’s totally changed his life for the better. He’s really happy with the results and he really didn’t miss as much work as he thought.

Good luck and God bless

Sh!tHead McGillicutty

February 22, 2012

Hang tough Bg….And may the speed of Quadarias Mireles guide you to recovery.

February 22, 2012

That schedule is not in order. We don’t play Notre Dame in week 2 and we are supposed to play BC Labor Day weekend.

February 22, 2012

And UNC, VA Tech, FSWho are at home.

[JSQ’s liver screams]

CanesCanesCanes

That’s funny sh!thead

Hurri.

Whitfield > Mireless! HA!

Sh!tHead McGillicutty

February 22, 2012

Whitfield > Mireless! HA!
    :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

BLASPHEMY!!!

Mireles > Bolt

BoriCane

Bg,

Any child early departure is super tough, my condolences.

Nice write up, Cameron seems to be one of those kind spirits with a lot of consideration for her friends. Seems she planted the right seeds and now you and her family can see the results, forever remembered.

On your procedure, just do as the dr orders, you will be fine. Be strong.

Miamimarcus

February 22, 2012

Bg, we’ll be keeping you in prayer. A safe a speedy recovery to you.

Hassan

February 22, 2012

Golden must feel good about our incoming DT’s

Robinson basically is being shown the door. He is a 4th year guy so he will grad and not hurt our APR.

shwarma5

February 22, 2012

Hassan – This is also a good year for FL DT’s I believe so if he’s comfortable with the starters, he can build the depth from there.

Luther who?

See ya son. Thanks so much for not much at all. Leave ur equipment at the door.

Uncle Al weeding out the week bytches. Don’t even pay attention to the “excuses”.

Much more to come.

Looks like he is bracing for scholly reductions.

The good ol preemptive strike.

Love it. Thin out the herd and brace for the worst.

PhillyCane

February 22, 2012

Bg sorry for the loss and good luck on the procedure.. I know ull beast through it.

Shitty loss last night to the Twerps.. now we gotta beat fsgay on sunday

Esteban

February 22, 2012

I got no problem with getting rid of guys who you don’t think will help going forward. But can’t cut/switch guys then say we have no depth at the position that you cut/switch guys from. its like Calvin said – creates a built in excuse. whatever decision is made, stick with it. don’t bring it up as an issue after the fact when things don’t work out.

plus Luther Robinson wasn’t a world beater, but as a RS Freshman looked like he could turn into a decent contributor. Still have no clue whether Pierre/Grimble/any new guys will be even decent on the interior. Plus why not keep him around at DT so you can RS an extra guy or two. he’ll still be taking a roster spot if he moves to OG. although its likely they know he’ll leave, but they might have thought Holton, Lewis, Perry or Dye would leave if switched but none did.

and quoting a player saying that the other players left cause they don’t wanna go through UTOUGH…Greg McElroy is a Cane now? Speak openly and show your can take heat for whatever you say to the media. Put down his teammates anonymously? no respect for that – even if its true.

Esteban

February 22, 2012

and I want to see Danny O’Brien transfer to Virginia. Stay in the ACC and beat Maryland. Still Maryland will have a winning record at some point over the next 3 years.

SpeedWrecks

Esteban February 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Esteban February 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM

~~~~~~~

LR being moved is not one easily understood, yet you’d think that the coach is doing this for the best of the team. CJ was moved to RB, now his status on the team seems not certain. Converted Dye was hurt much of last year. Actually, I think that Ray Ray should be the one that should have long ago been converted: To LB.

Canes Fan KB

BG,

my deepest sympathies and condolences to you, your family, and loved ones during the loss of such a young life. Prayers will be sent up during this time of grievance as well as your upcoming procedure. Peace to you frater.

KB

February 22, 2012

Al Golden is a complete STUD! Man just listen to him with Playmaker where he knows the percentages of WHERE the players are in the state. Wow…Impressive! He said we’ve done the studies! This guy has NO EXCUSE to fail…NONE! Man he’s impressive!

Six

February 22, 2012

“One current player said besides financial incentive, some players simply didn’t want to go through Golden’s offseason conditioning program again.”

Financial incentive? How many of the guys that are leaving are going to be 1st or 2nd Rounders and how big a of a rookie bonus are they going to get? They going to finish their degree from 1-888-UofPhoenix?

Players simply didn’t want to go through Golden’s offseason conditioning program? – yep, that recruiting class that Boss Man Shannon and Company brought in sure are badasses

Would like to see also if these same players wore a dental dam in their mouth instead of a mouthpiece while they played

Funny how Golden’s kids like Chick, DZP, etc. have the mentality that was faked by a lot of the players that were there before them, who preached about bringing the Canes back and bringin that swag back

Toss ’em off the cliff with the rest of the wanna be Spartan babies that didn’t pass the test like in “300”

Six.

I agree. Mayock was even saying that how NFL teams like guys from certain programs better. In the past that was Miami. He as Mayock said that’s Alabama. We got to get back to being HUNGRY and understanding how to WORK!

SpeedWrecks

February 22, 2012

I thought it was a player’s Dad & NFL scout who said that players did not want to go through UTough. Even still, leaving the U behind for the NFL is like a Mormon being left at the altar minus his # 1 bride, or after marriage with kids his key bride leaves before getting a younger and replacement wife. Shoot, how is the rest of the family not gonna feel bitter about said departure? She might have been the key chef/Cook of the family, where as the other wife gave a great lay, one with intellect keeps the organized while the Chef who greases the engines of needy bellies and diversified tastebuds has left the building… Little crumpsEaters pissed, and so is Husband!

How do you come up with a NEW one to make up for the great cooking of the departed one to satisfy the extensive tastes (playbook and necessities of the coaches) and hunger of the dependents (players who may know what it is like to play with unproven & unreliable players). And don’t even think fans aren’t dang pissed at now having to wonder what the end-of-season-slipping Hurns can muster without Streeter, 0r Chickillo manning an end spot w/out Olivier? And the OL, the mighty OL without their former All ACC guard to converted OT gone, what is there to think about? Let’s not even mention Miller, as he is not replaceable unless you put Brandon McGee back there with an added 20lbs!

Fans are bitter coz Miller Time is gone… Stretch’em Streeter whose brilliance is cherished but so new to us yet he already is done with us too! An excitement fans just got accustomed to, so yes, there’s also jealousy, bitterness, definitely by fans. What was USC Coach Carroll reaction when Mark Sanchez left early for NY? Are we really looking out for the best interests of the players, not our own self interests ac stakeholders of the U? Let’s see:

Miller Time: likely 1st, particularly if his time is at 4.35 or less
    Stretch’em Streeter: Leaving with his Bachelor’s degree. Close to 225 lbs, if he pulls any sub 4.40 as expected, and shows his good hands, he would never last past the 2nd round
    Olivier Vernon: Freak of an athlete! Current time is even faster than Spence with his own huge size; no worse than 2nd round.
    Brandon Washington: All ACC Guard last year, and played OT all last 12 games: BW will no doubt play on Sunday and represent the U.
    Marcus Forston: All you need to know is constant nagging injuries… why won’t that stop during Cane fall season, and/or this Spring Camp? When healthy, Forston is a force to be reckoned with. But, when has he not being injured? Better get injured while getting payed for it. After all, it only takes one injury to wipe an entire career in college or in the NFL. Was Craig Cooper ever the same after his college ACL injury?

The amazing development of all this that goes virtually UNMENTIONED is the fact that every single early departed player IS invited to the combines! And that invite is HARD to come by.

Mulling over the early departed is REALLY for whose best interests?

All I know is that I wanted to see more of Miller Time at the U along with…

SpeedWrecks

February 22, 2012

They going to finish their degree from 1-888-UofPhoenix ?

Not necessarily.

Streeter getting his degree at end of this term. Marcus will be done in the summer, along with BW not bar behind. Brandon Harris got his.

Six

February 22, 2012

bg1906 – just saw about earlier … thoughts and prayers my man, thoughts and prayers

And respect to you for taking the initiative to get a handle on your life like that. A lot of people spend more time trying to find excuses and not taking action – you’re taking action and that’s one of the hardest parts … got respect for people that actually want to change or at least try to legitimately

As for Canez1 boy that does stuff for AllCanes, that looks like John Leguizamo from the movie Spawn ……

Me thinks he doesn’t care too much – he should, esp. if he has children

SpeedWrecks

February 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Six.

~~~~~~

The U brand is still hugely attractive, othewise it would not have gotten its players 8 invites. Condolences to you BG. No less than 16 players last got drafted AND FA contract from the NFL. This year it will far more. Who would not prefer Bama right now? After that, it is still the U.

SW.

Has nothing to do with ATTRACTIVE. Listen to the interview. He said how just being from a certain program improves your stock because of the quality of coaching the type of work they now is put in there. He then proceed to compliment the HELL out of our coach and said he will have us where we want to be and that Golden is HIGHLY respected by the NFL for his development of players.

Six

February 22, 2012

SpeedWrecks – can’t compare BHarris to some of these other kids, he’s one of the few that actually played like he gave a sh*t, whether on the field or on the bench while the offense was on the field .. saw it many many times on the sidelines .. that and his family would kick his ass if he didn’t finish up and get his degree

For Lamar Miller, there’s how other many pretty solid 1st or 2nd Rounders .. are we sure that Spence will be a 1st or 2nd Rounder? Objectively sure?

You’re projecting with Vernon, Washington, Streeter, etc. When I talked to Chick’s dad at the Under Armour Game, he even made a point to talk about Vernon and how he thought it was a bad idea for him to jump early. Who knows about Streeter – the approach that you’re taking with whose best interests are involved, well, if you’re wanting the kid to stay another year to possibly up his stock at the draft, wouldn’t that be in the best interest of the kid?

Take out insurance on your body if you have to if you’re that worried. Andrew Luck took a chance and came back to play this year, how many others have not jumped to the NFL? Financial thoughts about it – meaning, well, certain players can come back b/c their families are financially better off than others … the question is, would you want to come back another year and more than possibly up your draft status (which equals better $) or take a chance and not get drafted into a round where your rookie bonus is all that great?

If the kids actually get their degree from Miami – that’s great. There have been a lot of former players who finally came back years later to finish their degree – that’s great as well. I believe in getting your degree first, that’s just me .. I actually believe in the words “student athlete”, maybe that’s why I’ve been so enamored with Stanford for a while

CaneWarrior

All the very best Bg!

shwarma5

February 22, 2012

Projecting any kid prior to the combine is a fairly pointless exercise unless he is a complete stud going in….that being said this would be my best/worse case scenario given a good/bad combine for all our guys:

Miller – 1/3
    Streeter – 2/5
    Spence – 2/4
    Washington – 2/3
    Vernon – 2/5
    Fortson – 3/6
    Benjamin – 2/5
    Harris – If anyone drafts Iman joke is on them

CK

February 22, 2012

Golden got passionate towards the end talking about the juniors leaving. Pretty interesting stuff he hinted at there.

bg – thoughts and prayers my dude

February 22, 2012

I don’t think she understands what that award is, lol!

HearAcane

February 22, 2012

Bg1906………..wishing you well…expect a lot of blogging from you as your energy goes into high gear….take care.

Cal.

Aye My Dude, you cyber stalking her? I’m wit it! How can I be down! LOL

February 22, 2012

Aye Cal. Momma Collins sho is wearin’ dem der tights! Is that a camel hoof! HA! Camel hoof is in FULL E-FF-E-C-T U KNOW WHAT I’M SAYING! HA!

Hurri you feeling that old Flava Flav line my dude??? HA!

SpeedWrecks

shwarma5 February 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Miller – 1/3
    Streeter – 2/5
    Spence – 2/4
    Washington – 2/3
    Vernon – 2/5
    Fortson – 3/6
    Benjamin – 2/5
    Harris – If anyone drafts Iman joke is on them
    ~~~~~

Shwartzy,

Gotta give U big props to project our ballas so high, still. But, Miller TIME lasting through the 3rd round… I give you a pass though… as it REALLY should be 1-2. As for your lowest pick Forston — notwithstanding our former signal caller — there are very few quality DTs in 2012, so that is in MF’s favor. Yeah, ballz out to you on the projection picks, and it falls as you have it in the beginning range, it all bodes well for the U and its brand. Your beginning range is tight, BUT there really is NOT that much of varying factors that would create a range so vast and uncertain with NFL decision-makers to be straddling between say 2nd and 5th, 3rd and 6th round, or [even Miller] going from a potential 1st round pick to tumbling all the way to 3rd… unless there is some real sinister or character issues with the balla. And then, an NFL team would still pick the balla, but not passing him through more than 1 round, i.e., Warren Sapp. It’s too competitive to let a game changer last that long.

Hey Cal, look at the vid comments. Check this one

Landon momma would get it. Geaux Tigers!

darryljames30 1 month ago

I concur! LOL

shwarma5

SpeedWrecks
    February 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Shwartzy,

SW – It’s a range for a reason, so that is the ONLY reason I gave some of those guys such a high grade (meaning everything falls into place for them). Looking back on it, I probably would reduce the range for Street (2/4) and Benjamin (2/4). However, I actually think for a couple the back end of that range could be in play too for several reasons:

– Inconsistent/small body of work
    – Injury history (Miller/Fortson)
    – Question about work ethic/attitude (almost all underclassman sans Miller were looked at as bad decisions to this point)

If you put a gun to my head and say what exact round/area the guys who get drafted will go in (based on what I expect in the combine) I would say this:

Miller – Late 1st/Early 2nd
    Spence – Late 2nd/Early 3rd
    Streeter – 3rd
    Benjamin – 3rd
    Washington – Mid/late 2nd
    Fortson – 5th
    Vernon – Late 3rd/Early 4th

Also believe Regis will get drafted. Other guys are fringe draftee/FAs

February 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    Cal.

Aye My Dude, you cyber stalking her? I’m wit it! How can I be down! LOL

February 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Hurri you feeling that old Flava Flav line my dude??? HA!
    //////////////////////////////////////

lol, she still good to go now, forget the lack of support at the annoucement, you know she holdin now.

camel hoof, lol, ok, time to go look at the video again!

Michael Bradley

February 22, 2012

Have a busy weekend in recruiting planned, got two big events I’ll be attending.

I’ll pass along some Cane nuggets early next week here, @CaneInsider, and on twitter.

I’m not done being impressed by Golden. He gets it. I feel really confident in the future of Miami football.

It’s going to be fun again. 🙂

Sh!tHead McGillicutty

February 22, 2012

I’d raw-deenie Collins’ moms….If it meant he’d come to UM. Other than that, I’m baggin it. I’m on that Jeff Ireland sh!t.

In a sad twist of irony, I’ll actually be attending a funeral tomorrow, for a former co-worker, who lost his son the day before the kid was gonna turn 18.
    His son also suffered from seizures, and I THINK that’s what led to his passing. Crazy how that coincides with your deal, Bg.

By the way….Mireles Feet > Chun Li Feet

CanesCanesCanes

February 22, 2012

Who said Forston 5th round? I don’t bash canes, so I’ll just say this, my money is on the last two rounds or undrafted free agent.

I’m so confident I’ll bet my $1,000 to your $100 that he’s drafted later than the 5th round. Easy money.

Esteban

February 22, 2012

I got confidence in Golden. The DC is still the one that has me worried. And outside of Davon Johnson why is it everyone who gets switched is getting switched from defense to offense? The DC doesn’t think anyone of them are good enough for him? Yet the offense just works with what’s there and guys have shown improvement – even Jacory. Plus all the defensive players took a step back outside of Spence. Two new systems from two new coordinators and opposite player reactions.

Six

February 22, 2012

James Wilder Jr. arrested in Tally for battery on the po-po and obstruction of justice

PED rage in full effect

Esteban

February 22, 2012

3XCanes, Wes Bunting was saying potential 2nd or 3rd rounder based of footage from two years ago. One of the few DTs who has a quick first step. Low supply ups the demand.

Six

February 22, 2012

Just got “The Rock, the Epic Journey of Dwayne the Rock Johnson” 3 Disc Set … 7.5 hours running time of 11 matches, almost all his promos, interviews, etc.

Disc 1 – the second chapter is titled “The U” …… behind the first chapter “Family Tradition”

Six

Butch and Schiano just hired LSU’s DB coach to be the DB coach for the Bucs

Morris Claiborne, welcome to the Bucs .. if you last until #5

Six says:
    February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Butch and Schiano just hired LSU’s DB coach to be the DB coach for the Bucs

Morris Claiborne, welcome to the Bucs .. if you last until #5
    /////////////////////////////////////

Is that butch davis with the bucs!

PhillyCane

February 22, 2012

Six whered u cop that Rock dvd at?

PhillyCane

February 23, 2012

Ne one know why big reg only played 15 minutes last nite against the twerps?

Esteban.

Mayock talked about Forston too and said this is a deep year for DTs.

Sh!tHead McGillicutty says:
    February 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

By the way….Mireles Feet > Chun Li Feet

I’d go R-A-W (Big Daddy Kane Style) just because she can get it! LOL

By the way….Whitfield Feet > Piston Honda Hand Slap

autumn

good morning

some early a.m. humor?:

Jay Leno:
    Dutch scientists say the world’s first test-tube meat, a hamburger made from cow stem cells, will be available sometime this year.
    Test tube meat made from stem cells.
    I hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

Conan:
    Political analysts say the key voting bloc could be birth control moms.
    Birth control moms are women who use birth control but apparently not correctly.

Jimmy Kimmel:
    In New York, basketball phenom Jeremy Lin continues to whip fans of the Knicks into a lather. They’re calling it Lin-sanity.
    I think that’s what they called it when Lindsay Lohan stole that jewelry.

Bob Morris, a state lawmaker from Fort Wayne, Ind., has decided not to support a proposal to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts.
    He believes the Girl Scouts is a “radicalized organization that supports homosexuality and abortion”.
    I’m all for freedom of speech, but that kind of talk might get you picked as Rick Santorum’s running mate.

February 23, 2012

Este our offense was horrible last yr. Not sure what games u were watching.

Streeter and miller showed up for a few games and that was about it.

The team was bad all around.

As for foreskin, He’s got a quick first step, a few times a game, and that Is about the only quick thing about him.

Kid is not dominant whatsoever and only plays hard here and there when he Is not hurt.

Another waste.

Most of these kids will do absolutely nothing in the NFL. Been like that the past 5 yrs or so.

Disrespect this U = Dead to me.

The U luster is slowly fading. We went from stocking teams with early round talent to filling practice squad rosters in a hurry. Kids are going to have to go back to the good ol days of putting in the hard work and actually proving your worth on the field.

Refreshing.

canechic

February 23, 2012

Good luck bg and my thoughts are with you 🙂

Delray

BG,

Just catching up on the blog. Please know my family’s prayers are with you for both your loss and your upcoming surgery.

Please keep us updated on how everything is going. We’re all pulling for you.

East st louis cane

February 23, 2012

BG Prayers are sent your way and stay strong my man.

PhillyCane

February 23, 2012

Just watched a great story on dwade on espns e:60 he dealt with some things and his mom that ive dealt wit and to watch them both persevere is awesome

There bout to do a clip on kobe and goin to high school in philly. How hes hated here and such. He actually went my rival high school lower merion. Saw him play every game his senior season. Best game I saw was watchin him go up against rip hamilton of coastville. Rip prolly dropped 20 something, kobe had 30 somethin. Lower merion beat coatsville

Hassan

February 23, 2012

What do you get for being first here?

First where? EOTH?

A virtual jello shot and you chose wisely with green. They are the best.

If you make it to a game I will give you one in person.

Six

Calvin – yup, Butch Davis is with the Bucs, Schiano was pushing hard to get him

His official title is special assistant to Greg Schiano

Six

PhillyCane – got it from Target for $19

Here’s what it looks like

Here’s a clip from it, from when Rocky Maivia turned into The Rock when he joined The Nation of Domination … Jim Ross talks about how he brought the swagger from The U into his character and Warren Sapp talks about it as well

2:14 – 2:40, Jim Ross talks about how “Rock brought his swagger from The U, which was known for their swagger, talking trash .. and backing it up by the way”

Warren Sapp is in it as well

pb(EOTHROH12)

February 23, 2012

Going to the Linsanity game tonight. Should be pretty electric!

PhillyCane

February 23, 2012

Thanks six i will defintely be making that purchase

PhillyCane

Hassan

JSQ I don’t drink lol

Duke is up to 189 lbs should be 195 by fall camp running a high 4.3

Hassan

February 23, 2012

Campbell and Myers are about to sign huge new deals with thier clubs maybe they can send a few bucks down to the U and help out.

Richardson had knee surgery and will not workout at the combine or proday, this gives Truth Miller a big opportunity to shine as the premire back at the Combine, people around his training say he has been running mid 4.3’s and Vernon low 4.6’s leading up to the combine.

February 23, 2012

I hate hearing about the young children dying this early from things like this or anything. Here’s to you and your family gaining mental & spiritual strength as soon as possible. The world will never be the same without her physical presence but the world will never be the same because of her unique essence. You already know we got u on here, keep the Faith!

Good for you, Hassan.

More for the rest of these drunks . . .

HD69

Cal
    thanks for those eloquent words, BG much love to you and your family! We are family!

February 23, 2012

I’m sure you guys have seen the picture of Obama throwing up the []_[] on campus today. If not, scroll up to the top of the page and check out our Facebook box.

Didn’t Bill Clinton throw up the []_[] with Jacory, et. al, last year?

Or was it the year before?

[I’ll take “signs Jello is getting old” for 100, Alex]

February 23, 2012

As for “Signs Jello is gullible for 200,” Alex, I almost went completely bat ____ on a Fear the Tie guy today because he was joking around that he was NOT replacing my Lilly Pulitzer game day sandals before we go to the games on campus next Saturday and Sunday.

Never f@ck with a woman when it comes to shoes, especially after your puppy used them as a chew toy after the Duke game this past fall.

I was about to drive to Stuart and bust some heads!

February 23, 2012

Just heard from my sister that my grandma has been admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure and pneumonia.

Another unplanned trip to Missouri under horrible circumstances is in the works. 🙁

JSQ.

Oh no! Prayers our with you sis. Take care and I pray for the best.

February 23, 2012

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone you guys are TRUE Canesfam! Funeral is Saturday and I feel I’ve been to too many damn funerals the past 3-5 years! My surgery is 3/27. I’m excited and a bit apprehensive as well.

Thanks, bg.

Do you think you can send me your address when you get a chance?

Your EOTH fam isn’t going to let you come out of surgery empty-handed. 🙂

February 23, 2012

The plan is coming together!

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

You’ve got a lot of people that love you, bg!!!

I hope you like it! 🙂

Uchamps

February 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM

ROFL, don’t let this happen to you!

————-

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha heee larryyy uussss!!!

Cal, you a muh fuggin fool

Uchamps says:
    February 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    February 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM

ROFL, don’t let this happen to you!

————-

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha heee larryyy uussss!!!

Cal, you a muh fuggin fool
    /////////////////////////////

Come on man, lol, did you see his style, “the crossed arms with the cobra fangs”. Than the way he decided, he didn’t need his knoo chucks to defeat them, he just figured he’d use his bare-hands. The way that mofo backed up though, come on man, that’s my new hero!

autumn

February 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<

post of the day

autumn

February 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

. . .

[I’ll take “signs Jello is getting old” for 100, Alex]
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

lol!
    line of the day, week, month

autumn

February 24, 2012

waiting for pb’s comments on the heat game . . .

autumn

February 24, 2012

except i’m about to leave for zurich for the weekend

. . . have to catch up sunday night

BoriCane

jsq,

hope your grandma comes out soon and gets better, prayers.

February 24, 2012

You all are so thoughtful. I’m constantly amazed at how much of a family we have here. We don’t always see eye 2 eye BUT like G Mone!y said in New Jack City, WE ALL WE GOT! I truly, truly love and respect everyone here! There is no way I can fail, I got 2 much U Fam behind me! Address 2 your inbox! LOL

shwarma5

February 24, 2012

JSQ sorry to hear that. Hope things turn out well.

Ronny

bg,

Best of luck with everything.

Uchamps

Bennie

February 24, 2012

Best of luck with the surgery BG, positive thoughts, prayers, and vibes big man.

February 24, 2012

Grandma Clark is doing better today.

She is a tough old lady.

We always joke around that the Clark side of the family are like cockroaches. Hard to get rid of. Do everything to destroy their bodies and they are still raising he!! at 97.

My daddy has survived several would-be fatal car accidents, one of which where the car exploded and he had 3rd degree burns over half his body.

He just did a tour in Texas last year as a solo act. At 58.

Grandma Clark is currently ordering the nurses around to get her the “good pudding.”

And I will be going back to Springfield to see her, healthy, in a few weeks.

Believe.

February 24, 2012

Bg, thanks for the address.

I’m not going to say anything else because I am so excited about it that I could blow the surprise!

I just want you to know you are loved here and we all support you.

Even the lurkers! 😉

Ok, that’s enough, I’m gonna give it away.

You will see it in March!!!

February 24, 2012

Yay! Settling my first case – in PA!

Extra props to me because opposing counsel is a functionally illiterate cry baby hippy plaintiff’s attorney.

Hard to communicate with those types!

Delray

February 24, 2012

Thanks, Delray, I just changed my calendar.

I’m really wondering who we play on 11.3.

A sorority sister is getting married that day and that sounds like Homecoming weekend to me.

I’m hoping I’m not invited for some reason, or that they change a date to something less selfish and inconsiderate.

February 24, 2012

I mean, I get it is “your day” to hold your pre-divorce ceremony, but seriously, maybe you should think about your guests?

Everyone knows the only acceptable times to walk the plank are between bowl game – spring practice or after spring game – fall practice.

Learn some f@cking etiquette.

Lol, so wrong.

Go eat your soup, muffins

Delray

February 24, 2012

I thought you called him Muffins from eating tacps?

No, he’s just Muffins.

I also call Sebastian the Puppy “Muffins.”

Bennie

February 24, 2012

Glenn Sharpe arrested for MURDER?

Guess you go crazy after years of being accused for PI..

Bennie

February 24, 2012

DECATUR, Ga. (CBSMiami) — A former University of Miami football player turned Super Bowl champion has been arrested and charged with murder in Georgia.

Former NFL cornerback Glenn Sharpe, 28, was arrested for the February 2nd, 2012 murder of Christopher Galloway, according to the DeKalb Sheriff’s Office.

Sharpe is accused of shooting Galloway three times during an altercation in Stone Mountain, Georgia.

Sharpe was arrested without incident at his Lawrenceville home. He is being held in the DeKalb County Jail.

Sharpe, born in Miami, began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons in 2008. Sharpe has also been signed to the New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts and even won a Super Bowl ring with the Saints as a practice squad member when the Saints defeated the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV.

He played college football at the University of Miami. He is widely known as the player involved in the delayed pass interference penalty in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl that prevented the Hurricanes from completing back-to-back National Championships and undefeated seasons.

February 24, 2012

A ‘Cane alum licensed in GA should do that work pro bono.

My defensive strategy would consist of three words: Blame Terry Porter.

February 24, 2012

Just got admitted in Nevada.

Here come all the work trips to Vegas. :-/